Aspley Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council is investing $5.9 million in a streetscape improvement project to refresh the shopping precinct on Gympie Road, Aspley.
Council will be working with the local community to revitalise the Gympie Road shopping strip, making sure it is an attractive, connected and safe centre for locals and visitors.
This is part of Council’s commitment to create a city of neighbourhoods, a key principle of the recently released Brisbane’s Future Blueprint, with vibrant suburban centres for our local communities.
The Aspley Village Precinct Project aims to improve the precinct’s amenity and attractiveness, contribute to and encourage local economic development and the community's sense of place at this neighbourhood centre.
Community consultation and engagement
Council launched the Aspley Village Precinct Project on 10 September 2018. The local community was encouraged to become involved in the planning for the improvement proposal by providing feedback via an online survey and by sharing ideas in person at one of three information sessions held during September 2018. The online survey closed at 5pm Friday 28 September 2018.
Feedback from the online survey and information sessions will assist Council in understanding what the community think is important in their centre and will inform the improvement proposal for the Aspley Village Precinct Project.
Council is currently developing the precinct improvement proposal, in response to the community feedback.
What happens next?
Precinct improvement proposal
An improvement proposal will be prepared in response to the community’s feedback and will be on display in the Aspley shopping precinct in early 2019. More information will be provided in the coming months.
Construction will begin in early 2019 and be completed by late 2019. Council will consult with each business in the shopping centre to ensure minimal disruption occurs during construction. Access to every shop in the shopping centre will be maintained during business hours.
Everyone will be invited to attend an event to celebrate the completion of the project. More information will be provided in the coming months.
Expected improvements include:
- a signalised pedestrian crossing upgrade on Gympie Road, subject to final approval from the Queensland Government
- footpath upgrades to improve accessibility, maintenance and visual amenity
- improving pedestrian crossing safety by realigning existing pedestrian crossings and adding cautionary tactile paving to existing kerb ramps where possible
- tree planting to improve visual and physical amenity
- groundcover plantings to new and existing garden beds to improve visual amenity
- street furniture and unique seating to improve physical amenity and accessibility
- public artwork to enrich local identity and express local culture.
For more information on the Aspley Village Precinct Project, phone the project team on 07 3403 8888.