Biota Street Inala Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council will be working with the local community to refresh the neighbourhood shopping precinct on Biota Street, Inala as part of the Village Precinct Projects program.
Council is committing $500,000 to the improvement project, which aims to:
- enhance the amenity, connectivity and safety for locals and residents
- contribute to and encourage local economic development
- provide a sense of place for the community at this neighbourhood centre.
This is part of Council’s commitment to creating a city of neighbourhoods, a key principle of the recently released Brisbane’s Future Blueprint, with vibrant suburban centres drawing people into the hub of their suburb, close to the services they need and the lifestyle and leisure options they want.
Community consultation and engagement
We received great feedback through the online survey and in person at the two information kiosks on Friday 14 December 2018 at the Christmas Carols at DJ Sherrington Park and on Saturday 15 December outside 119 Biota Street, Inala. You told us what is important to you in your neighbourhood. This feedback will inform the revitalisation plan for your local Inala shopping precinct, which will be on display in March 2019.
|Precinct improvement proposal||A revitalisation proposal will be prepared in response to the community's feedback. The improvement proposal will be on display in the Inala neighbourhood shopping precinct and Forest Lake Ward Office from early March 2019. More information will be provided.|
|Construction||Construction is planned to begin in April 2019 and be completed by mid-2019. Council will consult with each business in the shopping centre to ensure minimal disruption occurs during construction. Access to every shop in the shopping centre will be maintained during business hours.|
|Activation event||Local residents and businesses will be invited to an activation event to celebrate the completion of the project and also promote the upgraded neighbourhood centre. More information will be provided in the coming months.|
Expected improvements include:
- upgrading pedestrian crossing ramps by realigning existing pedestrian crossings, adding cautionary tactile paving to existing kerb ramps where possible and reconstructing existing ramps to improve accessibility and safety
- renewing sections of footpath surface
- groundcover plantings to new and existing garden beds
- new standard street furniture and unique seating
- refreshing existing place-making elements.
For more information on the Biota Street, Inala Village Precinct Project, phone the project team on 07 3403 8888.