Wavell Heights Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council will be working with the local community to refresh the neighbourhood shopping precinct on Hamilton Road, Wavell Heights as part of the Village Precinct Projects program.
We're committing $400,000 to the improvement project, which aims to:
- improve the amenity, connectivity and safety for locals and residents in the centre
- contribute to and encourage local economic development
- enhance the community's sense of place at this neighbourhood centre.
This is part of Council’s commitment to create a city of neighbourhoods, a key principle of the recently released Brisbane’s Future Blueprint, with vibrant suburban centres for our local communities.
Community consultation and engagement
The local community was encouraged to become involved in the planning for the revitalisation proposal by providing feedback on the opportunities plan.
- Draft opportunities plan - Wavell Heights Village Precinct Project (PDF - 1.1Mb)
- Draft opportunities plan - Wavell Heights Village Precinct Project (Word - 936kb).
Council received more than 110 responses during the three-week survey period, as well as talking to more than 30 people in our onsite information kiosk on Saturday 8 December 2018. This feedback will assist Council in understanding what the community thinks is important in their neighbourhood and will inform the revitalisation plan for the Wavell Heights local shopping precinct.
What happens next?
|Precinct improvement proposal||A revitalisation strategy and improvement proposal will be prepared in response to the community's feedback. The improvement proposal will be on display in the Wavell Heights shopping centre and other key locations in late March 2019. More information will be provided in the coming months.|
|Construction||Construction is planned to begin in April 2019 and be completed by mid-2019. Council will consult with each business in the shopping centre to ensure minimal disruption occurs during construction. Access to every shop in the shopping centre will be maintained during business hours.|
|Activation event||Local residents and businesses will be invited to an activation event to celebrate the completion of the project and also promote the upgraded neighbourhood centre. More information will be provided in the coming months.|
Expected improvements may include:
- a new footpath surface, shrub and tree planting
- improved accessibility to shops through works such as kerb ramp and pavement changes
- placemaking elements to enhance centre character and identity and to create a focal point for the community.
The project may also address some pedestrian safety issues in the neighbourhood shopping strip.
For more information on the Wavell Heights Village Precinct Project, phone the project team on 07 3403 8888.