Managing your leased or licensed property | Brisbane City Council

Managing your leased or licensed property

Under Brisbane City Council's standard lease terms and conditions the tenant is responsible for managing and maintaining all buildings and fields within the lease area.

Council can provide advice to your organisation on managing and maintaining your leased premise, but you may need approval if you want to make any changes, including upgrades and advertising.

Works on a community lease site

Before you make any changes to your leased premises you must ask for Council's approval using the Application for Works on a Community Lease Site online form. You need approval for minor changes, like moving soil; as well as bigger projects, such as building a shed.

Most applications take 20-30 business days from receipt of a complete application to assess and respond. Complex applications may take longer to assess, so keep this in mind when planning your project timeframe.

Local authority approval

As well as Council’s approval as your landlord, you may need building approval from Council for development or infrastructure changes to your leased premises.

You need to go through the same building approval process as if you were making the changes on private land.

For staged developments, each development stage is classed as a separate development application for fee purposes. 

Find out more information on the development application process, types of applications, how to lodge a development application and how to avoid assessment delays. Planning application and development assessment fees may apply. Development assessment fees do not include infrastructure charges.

Contaminated land management

Find out more about contaminated land management including how to determine whether your lease area is on a closed landfill site and what the responsibilities are for lessees.

Condition audits


To assist tenants with the maintenance of facilities Council undertakes condition audits of all buildings on leased premises every three to four years.

The condition audit process involves the assessment of all aspects of the building/s including:

  • structural elements such as building foundations, roofs and stairs/ramps
  • legislative requirements such as electrical tagging and testing and fire safety devices
  • general maintenance such as building interior and flooring, plumbing, vegetation, fences and car park areas.

The condition audit report is then provided to tenants who should use it to identify and address any immediate maintenance needed, ensure all regular checks are up to date, and plan for maintenance items to be undertaken. The report will provide guidance to the most important items as well as any that are of a health or safety risk.  

When access to a premises is required Council will provide appropriate notice to tenants.

Tenants should keep a copy of the latest condition audit report in an accessible location where committee members and relevant maintenance staff can easily refer to it. The condition audit report should be used by tenants to develop a maintenance and development plan (Word - 195kb) for the premises.

Sports fields

To further support tenants in managing and maintaining their premises, condition audits of all sports fields are undertaken by Council approximately every second year.

The purpose of these audits is to assist Council in understanding the condition of the city's sports fields and to provide tenants with information essential in the development of a proactive turf management program.

The assessment involves a scientific evaluation (i.e. agronomic assessment) of the sports fields, along with the collection of data to support field performance and safety.

The report summarises the findings of the sports field audit, as well as providing some practical management advice.

Maintenance and development plan

The maintenance and development plan applies to lease holders.

As part of the establishment or renewal of a lease tenant are required to prepare a maintenance and development plan (Word - 195kb).

The maintenance and development plan is generally for a four year period and covers mandatory, planned and unplanned maintenance the tenant will undertake. For example, legislative and lease maintenance requirements, general maintenance items, sports field maintenance and improvements as well as proposed facility developments and extensions should be detailed in the plan.

The information provided in the tenant’s latest condition audit and sports field audit report (if applicable) forms the basis of the maintenance and development plan. Council provides tenants with the most recent audit reports to assist them to complete their maintenance and development plan.

Signs and lighting

If you wish to display any signs or notices on your leased premises, you will need to obtain Council approval. You must also obtain Council's approval before installing or modifying any sport field floodlighting in a leased area. 

If you are planning to install signage or modify lighting to your leased premises, fill in the Application for Works on a Community Lease Site online form.


Under the Natural Assets Local Law 2003, you need to request Council's consent and have received approval before cutting or clearing any vegetation from your leased premises.

If you don’t obtain written consent from Council, you may face fines under the local law. The law provides for on-the-spot fines of $500 and maximum penalties for individuals up to $50,000.


If you are planning to alter or add onto your leased building, think about how to 'graffiti proof' it.

Council also encourages you to remove any graffiti from your leased premises as quickly as possible. As a community organisation you can borrow a graffiti removal kit from your local Ward office.

Find out more about graffiti prevention and removal.

If you see graffiti happening or know someone involved in graffiti, phone Crime Stoppers hotline on 1800 333 000 or report it online.

Fire ants

The fire ant is a serious pest that has been detected in Queensland. Even if your property isn't in a restricted fire ant area, you need to be aware of the risk of fire ants.

Under the Biosecurity Act 2014, all individuals and organisations have a general biosecurity obligation to take all reasonable steps to ensure they do not spread fire ants. To view a map of the fire ant biosecurity zones, learn more about what you need to do to prevent the spread of fire ants or report the location fire ants, refer to the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.

If fire ants are found on your leased or licensed property, you will also need to notify Council's Community Facilities Operations Team by phoning Council on 07 3403 8888 or by emailing

If your property is in a restricted fire ant area, you need to know the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) movement controls for high risk materials, particularly soil.

More information

For further advice on managing your leased or licensed property phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak to the Community Facilities Operations Team or you can email

22 January 2019