A new park for Ascot
Works have commenced on the new district park for Ascot, between Lancaster Road, Kitchener Road and McGill Avenue.
This park will provide a space for a variety of uses with more to see and do in a clean and green Brisbane, including walking, playing, picnicking and even small concerts.
|Address||Between Lancaster Road, Kitchener Road and McGill Avenue, Ascot|
|Project outcomes||A park for the community that celebrates the history of the site and suburb.|
Start of construction
View the project newsletter and final design in your preferred format:
The historic suburb of Ascot is home to a growing diverse community.
From 2009 to 2011, Council worked with the local community to plan for the future of the Racecourse Precinct. A key outcome of the Racecourse Precinct Neighbourhood Plan was to convert the former Brisbane Racing Club (BRC) members’ car park into public parkland.
Following community feedback, Council has finalised the design for this new district park in Ascot.
Before the design was finalised, Council invited the community to have their say on the proposed concept plan in May 2018.
About the project
Council has commenced construction on the new landmark district park being built between Lancaster Road, Kitchener Road and McGill Avenue. This land previously was utilised as a car park for the Eagle Farm race track.
The aim of the project is to deliver a park that:
- increases accessible shady green space
- celebrates the suburb’s rich heritage
- includes features reminiscent of the historic Ascot Park from the 1930s
- encourages recreational activity in our wonderful subtropical climate.
Works to construct the new landmark park will include:
- a bandstand/rotunda with heritage elements
- a new shaded and fully fenced playground incorporating all abilities access to play elements that include swings, spinning, climbing, sensory and water play
- the rejuvenation of the park, including turf, trees and plantings
- construction of entries, pathways and lighting
- informal picnic settings and seating
- an accessible toilet block
- a new dog-off leash area.
Works to construct the new district park are scheduled to start in March 2019 and be complete in late 2019, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Construction will take place between 6.30am and 6.30pm, Monday to Friday. Council is committed to keeping the community informed of construction in their area and will provide advance notification of any out-of-hours activities.
If you would like to find out more about the project, you can:
- phone Council on 1800 884 681 (during business hours) and ask for the Ascot park project team
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of business hours)
- email the project team.