Toohey Forest Park facilities upgrade
Construction of stage 2 of the Toohey Forest Park facilities upgrade is planned to start in early March 2019 and be complete in mid-2019, weather permitting.
|Address||Toohey Road, Nathan|
|Project outcomes||Upgraded picnic area, visitor car park and viewing platforms, as well as a new amenities block|
Stage 1 works are complete. Construction of stage 2 will start early March 2019.
About the project
Located 10 kilometres south of Brisbane at 600 Toohey Road in Nathan, Toohey Forest Park spans approximately 260 hectares.
The Toohey Forest Park facilities upgrade project aims to improve accessibility and connectivity through Toohey Forest as well as provide enhanced amenity and safety for park visitors.
The upgrade will involve two stages.
Stage 1 works included:
- reconfiguring the car park to include 33 spaces (increased from 24 spaces), including two spaces for people with disabilities
- widening the entrance at Toohey Road to improve safety for road users and pedestrians
- installing an access path between the Toohey Road entrance and the picnic area
- upgrading existing lighting in the car park to LED lighting
- upgrading the existing picnic area to ensure all-abilities access
- installing new picnic facilities including a new deck with shelters and barbecues
- upgrading a section of the Toohey Ridge Track including resurfacing works.
Council would like to thank residents and park users for their patience during the stage 1 works.
Stage 2 of the project will include:
- installing a new accessible compost toilet facility
- upgrading the two existing lookout areas along the Sandstone Circuit walking trail:
- one to include a dedicated timber viewing platform
- the other to include a timber deck and picnic setting
- installing CCTV cameras at the picnic facility to enhance security and safety.
Council will need to temporarily occupy two car parks to provide space for the construction of the amenity block.
All work will be carried out in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines. Vegetation impacts will be offset in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements.
The Toohey Forest Park facilities upgrade is part of Council’s commitment to keeping Brisbane clean, green and sustainable.
Construction of stage 1 was completed in July 2018.
Council is planning to complete the construction of stage 2 in mid-2019, weather and construction conditions permitting. Works will generally take place Monday to Friday between 6.30am and 6pm.
Council will provide advance notification of any weekend works required during the construction period. During this time park users can expect construction noise and dust. Road users may also experience some delays as work vehicles and machinery enter and exit the site.
Toohey Forest Park will be accessible to visitors throughout construction. However, a temporary short-term closure of a section of the car park will be required for the works. Signage will be in place during the temporary closure to advise motorists.
View the Toohey Forest Track Map.
If you would like to provide comments, ask questions or find out more about the Toohey Forest Park facilities upgrade, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email email@example.com
- write to:
Toohey Forest Park facilities upgrade project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.