Gallivant Through Ascot and Hamilton Heritage Trail
- establishment of the racecourse
- important war-time activity in the area during World War II
- the commercial and residential history of Racecourse Road
- the suburbs' stunning mansions.
Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word or Microsoft Word Viewer installed on your computer to view or print them. Some documents may also have a large file size and could take some time to download.
You can download:
- Brisbane Heritage Trails - Gallivant Through Ascot and Hamilton Heritage Trail brochure (PDF - 4.2Mb)
- Brisbane Heritage Trails - Gallivant Through Ascot and Hamilton Heritage Trail brochure (Word - 370kb).
Gallivant Through Ascot and Hamilton Heritage Trail map and table
There are 18 points of interest along the Gallivant Through Ascot and Hamilton Heritage Trail. The 3.5 kilometre trail begins outside the Hamilton Hotel, travels up Racecourse Road to Windermere and Lancaster Roads. It then crosses into Yabba Street and ends at the entrance to the Eagle Farm Racecourse.
For more information about each point of interest, download the Gallivant Through Ascot and Hamilton Heritage Trail brochure in your preferred format. The brochure map includes additional information such as the location of public transport, public toilets and access for people with limited mobility (by way of gradient ranges). Some sections of this trail are steep and may not be accessible for people with limited mobility. Rupert Terrace, Sutherland Avenue, Henry Street and a small section of Yabba Street do not include standard concrete footpaths and provide turf verges only.
Use the Google map and information boxes to navigate the heritage trail, or alternatively use the heritage trail table which includes the point of interest number, name, address and description. The start point of the trail (on the map) is marked with a 'person' icon.
View Ascot and Hamilton Heritage Trail in a larger map.
|1.||The Hamilton Hotel||442 Kingsford Smith Drive||The Hamilton Hotel was established in 1865 and the suburb was subsequently named after it.|
|2.||Eagle Farm Women's Prison||The only way to reach the Eagle Farm Women's Prison was along a convict-hewn track we know today as Kingsford Smith Drive. Although the prison no longer remains, it is an important archaeological site located approximately two kilometres away along Schneider Road.|
|3.||Brett's Wharf and the Apollo Barge Assembly Depot||Kingsford Smith Drive||During World War II, Brett's Wharf played an important role as the receiving dock for the US Air Force's unassembled aircraft.|
|4.||Substation No. 12||416 Kingsford Smith Drive||The brick substation was built in 1947 as a response to the area's increasing population and the need for better services.|
|5.||Kingsford Smith Drive||Corner of Kingsford Smith Drive and Riverview Terrace||In 1953, this road was renamed Kingsford Smith Drive in honour of one of Australia's most important aviators, Sir Charles Kingsford Smith.|
|6.||Hamilton Town Hall||36 Racecourse Road||This stately building was built in 1920 as the Hamilton Town Hall and Hamilton Town Council Chambers.|
|7.||Tivoli Gardens Theatre||23 Racecourse Road||Opened in 1907, the Tivoli Gardens was an open-air theatre famous in Brisbane for its Vaudevillian acts.|
|8.||St Augustine's Anglican Church||64 Racecourse Road||This beautiful church was completed in 1920 as St Augustine's Thank-offering and War Memorial Church.|
|9.||Racecourse Road||Racecourse Road was the direct path from the river to the racecourse. The road remains so today.|
|10.||Lynford||132 Windermere Road||This is one of the finest examples of Tudor Revival homes in Brisbane.|
|11.||Windermere||14 Sutherland Avenue||The grand residence was built around 1886 for politician, J.G. Appel, and was desigend by prominent architect, Richard Gailey.|
|12.||Chateau Nous||1 Rupert Terrace||Built in 1938, this exceptional example of Functionalist architecture brings to mind glamorous 1930s Hollywood parties.|
|13.||Nyrambla||21 Henry Street||Nyrambla epitomises the development of Ascot in the late 1800s, when grand residences were built on the apexes of the suburb's hills.|
|14.||Tattersalls Lodge||110 Yabba Street||This house was built in the 1890s as accommodation for horse trainers and their families.|
|15.||Hamilton Fire Station||83 Kitchener Road||A much needed permanent fire station to service the Ascot and Hamilton area was built in 1920.|
|16.||Ascot Railway Station||The line from Eagle Junction to Ascot Station (originally called Racecourse Station) was opened in 1882 and was used exclusively for race days.|
|17.||Eagle Farm Racecourse||In 1865, the first race meeting was held at the Brisbane Racecourse (now known as Eagle Farm Racecourse).|
|18.||Camp Ascot||During World War II, Eagle Farm Racecourse became the first US camp established in Australia.|