Windsor Sports and Community Park
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise works to complete the Windsor Sports and Community Park, on the corner of Northey, Victoria and Cullen streets in Windsor, will start from early August 2021. This project is identified in the Enoggera Creek Sport and Recreation Precinct Plan.
This project is part of Council's commitment to creating more to see and do in a clean and green Brisbane, with more opportunities to enjoy Brisbane's beautiful climate and connect with family and friends in the places that make our city great.
|Address||Corner of Northey, Victoria and Cullen streets, Windsor|
|Project outcomes||The project aims to improve the active green space in the area by providing a new sports and community park and play area, along with a formal car parking area for the community.|
Construction of the playground commenced in early August 2021
About the project
The Enoggera Creek Sport and Recreation Draft Precinct Plan identified a new sports and community park along Northey Street in Windsor. View the concept plan in your preferred format:
- Windsor Sports and Community Park concept plan (PDF - 551kb)
- Windsor Sports and Community Park concept plan (Word - 4Mb).
Much of the greenspace in this community is leased for sporting activities. Through projects like this, Council is creating more to see and do in a city that is clean and green, so you can enjoy Brisbane's beautiful climate, while connecting with the people and places that make our city great. Council is protecting and expanding greenspace to make it easier for you to enjoy the lifestyle our great city has to offer.
The Windsor Sports and Community Park project aims to improve the active green space in the area by providing a new sports and community park and play area, along with a formal car parking area for the community.
Park construction commenced in early 2021 and included:
- creating a permanent, formal car park with 67 spaces (including two accessible bays and three motorcycle parking bays) and a small bio-retention basin to manage runoff
- planting over 1500 groundcover plants, 70 shrubs, and 90 trees around the park
- establishing an alternative emergency access path for vehicles to exit the car park during flooding events
- installing a gabion wall (rocks in metal cages) around the perimeter of the fig tree to protect this iconic tree
- laying concrete paths around the perimeter of the park
- installing rubbish bins, bike racks, and seating.
Council is pleased to advise the existing large fig tree near Victoria Street and the eucalypt near the current driveway to the informal car park on Northey Street have been retained.
The playground is the last item to deliver and will mark the completion of planned upgrades to the Windsor Sports and Community Park. The playground is fully funded by the Australian Government.
View a slideshow (below) of artist impressions for the project. Alternatively, view this content in the 'Windsor Sports and Community Park' album in Council's Flickr account.
The artist impressions are indicative only and may be subject to change.
Construction of the playground will take place on the corner of Northey and Victoria streets, Windsor. This area is currently fenced off and will remain so for the duration of the works for the safety of the public and the construction team.
Construction impacts will include:
- increased truck movements to accommodate early ground works and the delivery of project materials
- minor construction related noise.
Works will be undertaken between the hours of 6.30am and 6.30pm, Monday to Friday, with some Saturday works (as required).
Every effort will be made to minimise disruption to the local community. We apologise for any inconvenience these works may cause and appreciate your patience while the works are completed.
The Windsor Sports and Community Park project began with land remediation works being undertaken in 2020. Further works to deliver a community car park and open green space for recreational use were completed in mid-2021.
Construction on the playground started in early August 2021 and should be completed in early December 2021, weather and construction conditions permitting.
If you would like to find out more about this project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during working hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of working hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Windsor Sports and Community Park project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.