Permits and licences for properties

If you have a lease or a full licence (not a seasonal licence) for a Brisbane City Council premises you may need liquor, gaming or health licences.

Liquor licensing

There are several types of liquor licences and permits available from the Queensland Government.

Council consent for selling alcohol

Your lease will specify if alcohol is permitted on your premises under a liquor licence (check your lease agreement).

Even if your lease permits a liquor licence, you still require Council's consent/input on the application to the Queensland Government.

The first step is to email Council's Community Facilities Operations team, or phone Council on 3403 8888 to discuss your proposal.

The Community Facilities Operations team can advise you of the process you need to follow.


The terms and conditions of your lease will indicate if gaming (such as poker machines or bingo) is allowed on your premises (check your lease agreement).

If gaming is permitted at your premises, you can lodge an application for a gaming licence with the Queensland Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation.

For more information, visit Queensland Government.

Food licences

The Food Act 2006 requires certain food businesses that prepare, pack, store, handle, serve or supply food to be licensed with Brisbane City Council.

For more information, visit food business licences

Event and festival permits

If you are planning an event, you may require an entertainment event permit.

These permits apply to any venue to which is open to the public, whether or not an entry fee is charged. Other event approvals may be required for both small and large events. 

An understanding of Council's requirements for event preparation, safety and notification to stakeholders is essential before you start planning an event.

For more information on all event and festival approvals, permits and a range of useful event planning resources, visit our events and festivals page.

For events or festivals on lease sites, phone Council’s Festival and Events Liaison Officer on 133 BNE (133 263) for specific advice. This is regardless of the number of people expected to attend the event. This officer will coordinate Council’s assessment of the proposal and will advise if an entertainment event permit is required.

To receive an entertainment venues and events permit information kit, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.

Last updated:24 April 2019