Bracken Ridge Library project
Brisbane City Council is building a new Bracken Ridge Library which incorporates the Bracken Ridge Ward Office.
|Address||Bracken Ridge Library, 77 Bracken Street, Bracken Ridge|
|Project outcome||Improved services at the Bracken Ridge Library|
Temporary closures of library and ward office from late September 2019
About the project
Works include building a new library, undercover car park and Ward Office in and around the existing library car park area nearest to Ferguson Park. This precinct includes the existing Community Hall and Jabiru Community College.
The new library will include:
- a terrace area
- a separate deck overlooking Ferguson Park
- new public meeting rooms with AV facilities, kitchenettes and after hours access
- improved accessibility including a new lift
- a children’s library, quiet room and reading lounge
- Wi-Fi throughout and eight computer internet stations
- the latest RFID technology for easy customer service borrowing and returns
two new car parks providing approximately 50 spaces and new bike racks:
- under the library, and
- at ground level between the new library and existing Community Hall
- a grassed square in the centre of the precinct and other new landscaping.
During works, there will be construction noise, dust and vibration at times.
During construction, library services will remain open as usual Tuesday to Saturday until Saturday 28 September 2019, when Council will need to temporarily close the library to allow the existing library and ward office to be demolished. The library will reopen on 20 November 2019.
During the library and ward office temporary closures, the Bracken Ridge Ward Office will close on Friday 27 September 2019 and will reopen in the first week of October 2019 in its temporary location at Council's North Business Centre, Level 1, 375 Hamilton Road, Chermside. The new ward office will open on 20 November 2019. You can continue to contact the Bracken Ridge Ward Office:
- by phone on 07 3667 6000
- by email.
Community Hall, Jabiru Community and Youth Services Association, and Sandgate and Bracken Ridge Action Group (SANDBAG)
The Jabiru Community and Youth Services Association and SANDBAG will continue to operate as normal.
For community hall booking enquiries:
- phone the Community Halls office on 07 3407 0811, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm
- make a booking enquiry online.
Other construction impacts
Other construction impacts will include:
- changed parking conditions including closure of the main library car park and restricting access to the car park at the rear of the community hall for use by couriers, people with disabilities and emergency vehicles only
- closure of Ferguson Park playground during works for the safety of residents and visitors. The playground will reopen once it is deemed safe to do so. Some playground equipment will be available behind Jabiru Community and Youth Services Association and the tennis court area. Other playground equipment is also available in the Bracken Ridge Reserve (Barrett Street) and McPherson Park
- removal of some trees. Trees in Ferguson Park and along the Barrett Street frontage will be retained. Replacement trees will be planted within the ward in accordance with Council's offset planting policy.
Construction commenced on Monday 7 January 2019 and is expected to be complete in late 2019. Construction works will generally take place between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday.
For more information about the new Bracken Ridge Library project:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during working hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
New Bracken Ridge Library project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.