Musgrave Park Pool upgrade
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the Musgrave Park Pool in South Brisbane. This is part of our commitment to growing Brisbane’s lifestyle by delivering more opportunities to enjoy Brisbane’s beautiful climate and connect with family and friends in the places that make our city great.
|Address||Musgrave Park Pool, 100 Edmonstone Street, South Brisbane|
|Project outcome||Improved pool facilities for all ages and abilities to enjoy|
About the project
The Musgrave Park Pool upgrade includes works to:
- replace the aging pool shell with a new level wet deck shell and new finishes
- widen and deepen the pool to enable water polo activities, school training and swimming carnivals
- make the pool accessible for visitors of all ages and abilities to enjoy by installing a new ramp and two new shower/changerooms for people with a disability
- replace filtration systems, in-ground pipework, plant equipment (including power supply) to extend the operational life of the pool
- provide the potential to extend pool operating months by providing heating.
Construction started in May 2019 and is expected to be completed by mid-2020, weather and site conditions permitting. Construction will generally take place between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday.
During these works, you can expect the following impacts.
Noise, dust and other construction impacts
Construction noise, dust and vibration at times including:
- jack hammering
- compaction of fill
- pouring of concrete.
Increased vehicle movements with reversing alarms and flashing lights. Due to workplace health and safety requirements, reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
Musgrave Park Pool is currently closed for the upgrade and will remain closed during the summer 2019-20 season.
Nearest pools open to the public include:
- Somerville House Aquatic Centre, 4 Stephens Road, South Brisbane
- QUT Pool, Gardens Point Campus, Brisbane City
- Valley Pool, 432 Wickham Street, Fortitude Valley
- Centenary Pool, 400 Gregory Terrace, Spring Hill
- Spring Hill Baths, 14 Torrington Street, Spring Hill
- Ithaca Pool, 131 Caxton Street, Paddington.
Energex will need to cut across Edmonstone Street to install new underground electrical cabling infrastructure to build a connection from the existing power network serving West End and South Brisbane to the new, higher capacity Energex transformer. The new transformer will be located between the pool buildings and the footpath.
Once complete, the new transformer will upgrade current power infrastructure in the area and enable the pool to be heated.
Energex works are expected to be undertaken, weather and site condition permitting, as follows:
- Network cable conduit installation across Edmonstone Street (16-17 December 2019)
- Construction of the pit for the new Energex transformer connection to the network (from 6 January 2020)
- Final cable installation and completion of network connections (mid-late January 2020)
- Backfill and reinstatement of the area around the new transformer pit (late January- early February)
Energex works will take place between 6am and 6pm weekdays and are expected to be completed in early February 2019, weather and site conditions permitting.
General pool construction works will continue to take place Monday to Saturday 6am to 6pm. This includes footpath excavation works scheduled for 14-16 January 2020, weather and site conditions permitting.
Energex works to switch the power network over to the new transformer may impact power and telecommunications services. Energex will provide prior notice of any scheduled service disruptions.
Properties in close proximity to these works may experience some construction noise, dust, vibration and increased truck movements. These aspects will be monitored, and every effort will be made to minimise the impacts on the local community.
Council apologises for any inconvenience these works may cause and we appreciate your patience during this time.
If you would like to find out more about the Musgrave Park Pool upgrade you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416
- phone Council 24-hour Contact Centre on 07 3403 8888
- email City Projects Office
- write to:
Musgrave Park Pool upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.