Musgrave Park Pool upgrade
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the Musgrave Park Pool in South Brisbane. This is part of our commitment to creating new lifestyle and leisure opportunities through better facilities and venues for all ages and abilities to enjoy.
|Address||Musgrave Park Pool, 100 Edmonstone Street, South Brisbane|
|Project outcome||Improved pool facilities for all ages and abilities to enjoy|
About the project
This upgrade is part of Brisbane City Council’s commitment to creating new lifestyle and leisure opportunities and delivering vibrant, liveable communities.
The Musgrave Park Pool upgrade includes works to:
- replace the aging pool shell with a new level wet deck shell and new finishes
- widen and deepen the pool to enable water polo activities, school training and swimming carnivals
- make the pool accessible for visitors of all ages and abilities to enjoy by installing a new ramp and two new shower/changerooms for people with a disability
- replace filtration systems, in-ground pipework, plant equipment (including power supply) to extend the operational life of the pool
- provide the potential to extend pool operating months by providing heating.
Construction started in May 2019 and is expected to be completed by mid-2020, weather and site conditions permitting. Construction will generally take place between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday.
During these works, you can expect the following impacts.
Noise, dust and other construction impacts
Construction noise, dust and vibration at times including:
- jack hammering
- compaction of fill
- pouring of concrete.
Increased vehicle movements with reversing alarms and flashing lights. Due to workplace health and safety requirements, reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
Musgrave Park Pool is currently closed for the upgrade and will remain closed during the summer 2019-20 season.
Nearest pools open to the public include:
- Somerville House Aquatic Centre, 4 Stephens Road, South Brisbane
- QUT Pool, Gardens Point Campus, Brisbane City
- Valley Pool, 432 Wickham Street, Fortitude Valley
- Centenary Pool, 400 Gregory Terrace, Spring Hill
- Spring Hill Baths, 14 Torrington Street, Spring Hill
- Ithaca Pool, 131 Caxton Street, Paddington.
Energex works to switch the power network over to the new transformer may impact power and telecommunications services. Energex will provide prior notice of any scheduled service disruptions.
Council has recently identified that additional works are required to complete the new ramp access to the pool.
These works include:
- constructing footpaths
- connecting ramps from the accessible parking for people with a disability at the front of the amenities building
- installing underground electrical services and the pad-mount transformers that will supply electricity to the facility.
In order to undertake these works, the removal of five street trees and six trees located in the garden along the entrance is required. All work will be carried out in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines. Vegetation impacts will be offset in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements and replanting will occur as part of the project.
It is anticipated the footpath and connecting ramp works will begin during the school holidays in late September 2019.
Every effort will be made to minimise disruption wherever possible.
We would like to thank you for your patience and understanding while we deliver a better pool facility.
If you would like to find out more about the Musgrave Park Pool upgrade you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416
- phone Council 24-hour Contact Centre on 07 3403 8888
- email City Projects Office
- write to:
Musgrave Park Pool upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.