New Bracken Ridge Library project
Brisbane City Council is building a new Bracken Ridge Library which incorporates the Bracken Ridge Ward Office.
|Address||Bracken Ridge Library, 77 Bracken Street, Bracken Ridge|
|Project outcome||Improved services at the Bracken Ridge Library|
Construction in progress
About the project
Works include building a new library, undercover car park and Ward Office in and around the existing library car park area nearest to Ferguson Park. This precinct includes the existing Community Hall and Jabiru Community College.
Once most of these works are complete later in the year, the existing library and Ward Office will be demolished.
The new library will include:
- a terrace area
- a separate deck overlooking Ferguson Park
- new public meeting rooms with AV facilities
- kitchenettes and after-hours access
- improved accessibility including a new lift
- children’s area
- Wi-Fi throughout and eight computer internet stations
- the latest RFID technology for easy customer service borrowing and returns
two new car parks providing approximately 50 spaces and new bike racks:
- under the library, and
- at ground level between the new library and existing Community Hall
- a grassed square in the centre of the precinct and other new landscaping.
During works, there will be construction noise, dust and vibration at times.
Some trees will be removed for construction. Trees in Ferguson Park and along the Barrett Street frontage will be retained. Replacement trees will be planted within the ward in line with Council’s offset planting policy.
Changed car parking access
Car park changes include:
- no onsite car parking for visitors
- two accessible car parks for people with disabilities
- restricted delivery and courier parking available at the rear of the hall
- emergency vehicle access at the rear of the hall.
Council is offering a weekly temporary Council cab service on Thursdays from Bracken Ridge and Bald Hills to the Bracken Ridge library during construction.
During construction, library services will:
- remain open as usual - Tuesday to Saturday
- have the same book return location
- have library events and scheduled programs (refer to library for any changes)
- require temporary closure prior to the opening of the new library to demolish the existing library (advance notice will be provided)
- have restricted pedestrian entry off Bracken Street.
Ward Office, Community Hall, Jabiru Community and Youth Services Association, and Sandgate and Bracken Ridge Action Group (SANDBAG)
These services are operating as normal with restricted pedestrian entry off Bracken Street.
Ferguson Park playground will be closed during works for the safety of residents and visitors. It will re-open as soon as it is deemed safe.
Some playground equipment is available up the hill behind Jabiru and the tennis court area. Other nearby playground equipment is available in the Bracken Ridge Reserve (Barrett Street) and McPherson Park.
Construction commenced on Monday 7 January 2019 and is expected to be complete in late 2019. Construction works will generally take place between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday.
Works on Bracken Street
As part of the redevelopment, Council will be undertaking works to install new communications fibre infrastructure along Bracken Street from mid-May to late June 2019.
The works will involve:
- using a tunnel boring machine to install cables under the footpath on both sides of Bracken Street, from Bracken Ridge Road to the Bracken Ridge library
- temporary footpath closures and traffic changes will be required to allow work to be completed
- signage and traffic control will be in place to direct pedestrians and motorists safely around the works.
Works will generally take place between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday.
Local residents and businesses near the works may experience some construction impacts associated with these works.
For more information about the new Bracken Ridge Library project:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during working hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
New Bracken Ridge Library project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.