A new park for Ascot
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce that works to construct the new district park at Ascot, between Lancaster Road, Kitchener Road and McGill Avenue, are now complete.
This park provides a space for a variety of uses with more to see and do in a clean and green Brisbane, including walking, playing, picnicking and even small concerts.
|Address||Between Lancaster Road, Kitchener Road and McGill Avenue, Ascot|
|Project outcomes||A park for the community that celebrates the history of the site and suburb.|
Construction was completed in October 2019
View the project newsletter and final design in your preferred format:
The historic suburb of Ascot is home to a growing diverse community.
From 2009 to 2011, Council worked with the local community to plan for the future of the Racecourse Precinct. A key outcome of the Racecourse Precinct Neighbourhood Plan was to convert the former Brisbane Racing Club (BRC) members’ car park into public parkland.
Following community feedback, Council finalised the design for this new district park in Ascot.
Before the design was finalised, Council invited the community to have their say on the proposed concept plan in May 2018.
About the project
The new landmark district park includes land that was previously utilised as a members' car park by Brisbane Racing Club.
The project delivered a park that:
- increases accessible shady green space
- celebrates the suburb’s rich heritage
- includes features reminiscent of the historic Ascot Park from the 1930s
- encourages recreational activity in our wonderful subtropical climate.
Works to construct the new landmark park included:
- a bandstand/rotunda with heritage elements
- a new shaded and fully fenced playground incorporating all abilities access to play elements that include swings, spinning, climbing, sensory and water play
- the rejuvenation of the park, including turf, tree plantings, and a new post and rail fence
- construction of entries, pathways and lighting
- barbecues, picnic settings and seating
- an accessible toilet block
- a new dog-off leash area.
Works to construct the new district park started in March 2019 and were completed in October 2019.
If you would like to find out more about the project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of business hours)
- email the project team.