New Farm Park promenade upgrade
Brisbane City Council is undertaking works to revitalise the river-front (promenade) path, park amenity and improve way-finding at New Farm Park.
|Address||New Farm Park|
The project aims to revitalise and further enhance New Farm Park for visitors and users of the park.
About the project
The promenade path at New Farm Park is a very popular location for visitors, tourists, pedestrians, joggers and cyclists; and links the park with the New Farm Park ferry terminal and the Brisbane Powerhouse. Shortly, it will also provide a link with the River Hub, a pontoon facility that will provide an additional river access point for residents and visitors.
Currently, the promenade path is too narrow for its current use, and the path height is lower than highest tide and often becomes inundated and inaccessible during peak tides. As a result, the surrounding park environment has been impacted.
The project aims to revitalise and further enhance New Farm Park and will deliver a high quality interface with the Brisbane Powerhouse precinct and provide a strong sense of entry and clear wayfinding for all visitors.
Works to deliver an interface between the new River Hub and the Brisbane Powerhouse and revitalise the New Farm Park promenade will be delivered in three stages. Stage one was delivered in late 2018 and involved a pedestrian footpath connection to the River Hub and park. Stage two and three will be delivered in early 2019 and will involve constructing an interface with the Brisbane Powerhouse and the park and revitalising the promenade.
The works to the River Hub and Brisbane Powerhouse interface will involve:
- installing decorative paving near the River Hub facility to welcome visitors to the park
- upgrading existing garden beds to provide an attractive gateway to the Brisbane Powerhouse from the River Hub
- installing new steps to provide more direct access to the Brisbane Powerhouse from the new River Hub
- installing a concrete seating wall and creative lighting at the Brisbane Powerhouse and River Hub.
The revitalisation works along the promenade from New Farm Park ferry terminal to the Brisbane Powerhouse will generally involve:
- promenade constructing a new 4.5 metre-wide concrete path
- installing decorative lighting along the promenade
- landscaping works
- installing seating at various locations throughout the park.
Some vegetation is required to be removed from the garden beds near the Brisbane Powerhouse. One Tuckeroo Tree has been identified in poor condition is required to be removed. All work will be carried out in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines and Council will make every effort to minimise environmental impacts during construction. Vegetation impacts will be offset in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements.
To ensure works are completed with as minimal disturbance to park users as possible, the works along the promenade will be completed in stages. Construction will generally be undertaken between the hours of 6:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Friday. Weekend work may also be required where necessary.
Every effort will be made to minimise disruption to the local community during this work and Council is committed to keeping local residents informed and will provide advance notice of any out-of-hours works and anticipated construction impacts. We apologise for any inconvenience these works may cause and appreciate your patience while these important works are completed.
Other activities in New Farm Park
- New Farm Park River Hub – construction of the River Hub commenced onsite in early October 2018. Construction is anticipated to be completed in the coming months and the facility will then be open for public use, weather and construction conditions permitting.
- New Farm Park ferry terminal upgrade – construction started in April 2018 and was completed in early October 2018.
If you would like to provide comments, ask questions or find out more about the New Farm Park promenade upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.