Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens project
The Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens project will revitalise two of the city’s iconic gardens, New Farm Park and the River Terrace parklands at Kangaroo Point.
Both parks will be upgraded and enhanced to be more attractive to users and visitors.
The Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens program demonstrates Brisbane City Council’s commitment to offering world-class lifestyle and leisure opportunities to Brisbane residents and visitors.
Council is creating more to see and do in a clean and green Brisbane, by maintaining more than 2100 parks with more created all the time.
Kangaroo Point River Terrace Parkland
About the project
The Kangaroo Point River Terrace Parkland project provides an opportunity to enhance the distinctive riverfront landscape of the parkland, providing an attractive viewing space for local residents and visitors.
|Stage 1||Free Wi-Fi was rolled out in the Kangaroo Point Cliffs area as part of the program in May 2017|
Design for park upgrades was completed in February 2018.
Construction is underway and is anticipated to be complete in mid-September 2019.
Works will involve landscaping including upgrades to existing garden beds, which includes new edging to formalise existing mulched areas, soil improvement works, planting, mulching and irrigation. In addition, works will also include upgrades to existing turf, and painting of selected street furniture.
View the concept plan:
- Kangaroo Point River Terrace Parkland project concept plan (PDF 614kb)
- Kangaroo Point River Terrace Parkland project concept plan (Word 1Mb).
Works are currently underway and are anticipated to be completed in mid-September 2019, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Impacts during construction
Construction will take place between 6.30am and 6.30pm, Monday to Friday. Council is committed to keeping the community informed of construction in their area and will provide advance notification of any out-of-hours activities.
Due to workplace health and safety requirements, reversing beepers cannot be turned off. Every effort will be made to minimise disruption to the local community during this work.
For the safety of workers onsite, partial lane closures may be required to complete the works. Council urges motorists to take care when passing the works and to follow the directions of traffic controllers during these works.
Council would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused during this time and thank the community for their patience while we complete this important work.
New Farm Park upgrades
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce the end of construction of the New Farm Park rose gardens project – stage 2.
Stage 1 - complete
Approximately 700 roses were planted in current garden beds in August 2017.
The project aimed to further enhance the gardens to ensure New Farm Park remains a great place to enjoy Brisbane’s outdoor lifestyle and leisure opportunities.
Stage 2 works involved:
- extending existing rose garden beds
- constructing new rose garden beds
- planting approximately 2000 new plants
- installing a drip irrigation system into existing and new garden beds
- installing six new arbours and associated landscaping works.
Stage 2 works began in late April 2018 and were complete in August 2018.
Starting in early June, additional stage 2 works aimed to further enhance New Farm Park by bringing the area around the rotunda in line with the heritage values of the site and refurbishing the existing picnic area to maximise its potential use.
These additional works included:
- removal of a garden bed near the rotunda, to bring back in line with the heritage values of the site
- paving and turfing where the garden bed was removed
- relocating four tables within in the existing picnic area
- relocating a pair of bins in the existing picnic area
- installing two long tables under the existing shade sails
- constructing a small seating wall (<500mm high) around the picnic area.
View the project plan:
- New Farm Park Rose Gardens Concept Plan (PDF - 1.31Mb)
- New Farm Park Rose Gardens Concept Plan (Word - 484kb).
If you would like to ask questions or find out more about the Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens project, you can
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of business hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.