Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens project
The Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens project revitalised two of the city’s iconic gardens, New Farm Park the Kangaroo Point River Terrace Parkland.
Both parks have been upgraded and enhanced to be more attractive to users and visitors.
The Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens program demonstrates Brisbane City Council’s commitment to offering world-class lifestyle and leisure opportunities to Brisbane residents and visitors.
Council is creating more to see and do in a clean and green Brisbane, by maintaining more than 2100 parks with more created all the time.
Kangaroo Point River Terrace Parkland
About the project
The Kangaroo Point River Terrace Parkland project provided an opportunity to enhance the distinctive riverfront landscape of the parkland, providing an attractive viewing space for local residents and visitors.
|Stage 1||Free Wi-Fi was rolled out in the Kangaroo Point Cliffs area as part of the program in May 2017|
Design for park upgrades was completed in February 2018.
Construction was completed in early September 2019.
Works involved landscaping including upgrades to existing garden beds, which included new edging to formalise existing mulched areas, soil improvement works, planting, mulching and irrigation. In addition, works also included upgrades to existing turf, and painting of selected street furniture.
Works were completed in early September 2019.
Council thanks residents for their patience during these works.
New Farm Park upgrades
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce the end of construction of the New Farm Park rose gardens project – stage 2.
Stage 1 - complete
Approximately 700 roses were planted in current garden beds in August 2017.
Stage 2 - complete
The project further enhanced the gardens to ensure New Farm Park remains a great place to enjoy Brisbane’s outdoor lifestyle and leisure opportunities.
Stage 2 works involved:
- extending existing rose garden beds
- constructing new rose garden beds
- planting approximately 2000 new plants
- installing a drip irrigation system into existing and new garden beds
- installing six new arbours and associated landscaping works.
Stage 2 works began in late April 2018 and were completed in August 2018.
In early June 2018, additional stage 2 works further enhanced New Farm Park by bringing the area around the rotunda in line with the heritage values of the site and refurbishing the existing picnic area to maximise its potential use.
These additional works included:
- removal of a garden bed near the rotunda, to bring back in line with the heritage values of the site
- paving and turfing where the garden bed was removed
- relocating four tables within the existing picnic area
- relocating a pair of bins in the existing picnic area
- installing two long tables under the existing shade sails
- constructing a small seating wall (<500mm high) around the picnic area.
If you would like to ask questions or find out more about the Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens project, you can
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of business hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.