Walton Bridge Reserve upgrade - The Gap
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise that construction of the Walton Bridge Reserve upgrade - stage 2 at The Gap is complete.
|Address||25 Glen Affric Street, The Gap|
|Project outcomes||Upgrade of the park|
Stage 1 and 2 construction complete.
About the project
Stage 2 of the Walton Bridge Reserve upgrade project improved the usability and accessibility of the reserve for the local community. This project is part of Council’s commitment to ensure Brisbane remains a liveable and sustainable city for our children, and for future generations.
Works for stage 2 involved:
- relocating the 'Remembrance Place' plaque at the corner of Jevons Street and Waterworks Road to the remembrance precinct
- formalising access to the precinct with accessible footpaths from Glen Affric Street
- creating a new pedestrian entrance gate along Waterworks Road
- relocating community artwork pillars to the corner of Jevons Street and Waterworks Road
- installation of informal amphitheatre seating
- defining the remembrance precinct by planting new shade trees, garden beds and landscaping.
Council also engaged original artist, Catriona Holland, to refresh the 'Pillars of the Community' artwork.
- casting replacement pillars in concrete to extend the life of the artwork
- transferring the plaques on the existing pillars to the new pillars, to maintain the connection and history of the original work
- adding new plaques to expand on the themes captured in each pillar
- adding new design elements to enhance the pillars.
Construction of stage 1 of the Walton Bridge Reserve upgrade project was completed in December 2017.
The upgrade extended the play area with a new all-abilities playground, improved picnic areas and a new toilet facility, as well as additional shade trees and landscaping.
Works for stage 1 of the Walton Bridge Reserve upgrade involved:
- updating and extending the play area with a new all-abilities playground
- construction of new picnic shelters and amenities building
- resurfacing of the car park areas
- re-installation of wayfinding signage
- installation of lighting along Enoggera Creek Bikeway
- planting of new shade trees, garden beds and landscaping
- minor refurbishment of the existing Lions Club shelter.
The upgrade was designed to meet the needs of the growing community while retaining the existing look and feel of Walton Bridge Reserve, including the community mural from the existing toilet block, which has been maintained as a wrap around the new amenities building.
If you would like to find out more about the Walton Bridge Reserve upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Walton Bridge Reserve upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.