Davies Park improvement project - West End
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce construction of the Davies Park improvement project is anticipated to start in late November 2019 and be completed in March 2020, weather and site conditions permitting.
|Address||Davies Park, West End|
|Project outcomes||Revitalise Davies Park to improve recreation opportunities and publicly accessible areas|
Construction is anticipated to begin in late November and be completed by March 2020, weather and site conditions permitting.
About the project
Davies Park is a much-loved, six-hectare green space in West End. The park has been providing sport and recreation opportunities for the community for more than 100 years.
Council is undertaking park improvements at Davies Park to enhance the park's existing leisure and recreation opportunities for residents and visitors. The improvements are part of Council's commitment to keeping Brisbane clean and green, and making our city liveable and sustainable for future generations.
The project will deliver park improvements that:
- increase accessible green space
- accommodate existing community lease activities in the park
- promote a sense of community and celebrate its cultural heritage
- increase the recreational use of the park.
Council has engaged with the community and gathered feedback on the proposed design to ensure the park improvements align with community desires and values, and to appropriately prioritise the delivery of improvements.
Ideas and feedback collected from the community in late 2017 and July 2018 have been careful considered as part of the project. Based on the comprehensive feedback from the community consultation in July 2018, features were prioritised to ensure that the improvement works resulted in the greatest community benefits within the constraints of the site.
The works will include:
- partially removing and reshaping existing mounts to create new green spaces and improve vistas through the park
- building a new multi-use games area including some skateable elements
- reconstruction and resurfacing part of the internal park roadway
- installing drainage to reduce flooding in the park
- replacing the existing sand volleyball courts with a multi-use hard court and gravel surface
- installing new shade trees and landscaping
- installing a new and accessible toilet block with six cubicles (completed).
Following representation to Council regarding the impacts on the Jane Street Community Garden, Council is reviewing the current design for the project. We'll confirm any changes to the current plan as soon as possible. Initial works onsite will not influence the outcome of this design review.
Download the project documents in your preferred format:
- Davies Park improvement project - project plan final design (PDF - 6.7Mb)
- Davies Park improvement plan - project plan final design (Word - 2.2Mb)
- Davies Park improvement project - concept design for the multi-use games area (PDF - 420kb)
- Davies Park improvement project - concept design for the multi-use games area ( Word - 2.4Mb).
Construction is anticipated to begin in late November 2019 and be completed by March 2020, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Construction will take place between 6.30am and 6.30pm, Monday to Friday. Council is committed to keeping the community informed of construction in the area and will provide advance notification prior to start of construction and for any out-of-hours activities.
Council has identified a number of trees and shrubs growing in the existing mounds that need to be removed to facilitate the project and provide usable green space for the community. All vegetation impacts will be offset in accordance with Council policies and legislative requirements, including trees of various sizes to be replanted in Davies Park and other local areas.
Council will be installing temporary fencing onsite during the week beginning 25 November 2019. The internal park roadway and parking areas will be closed to traffic for the duration of the works, except for authorised Southern Suburbs Rugby League Football Club visitors. The park will still be available for recreational use, although pedestrian access through the park will not be available from Montague Road during construction.
Throughout construction, the local community can expect temporary footpath closures and detours, construction noise, increased truck movements and level levels of vibration and dust. Signage will be in place to help pedestrians and motorists navigate the temporary closures.
The Southern Suburbs Rugby League Football Club and West End Markets will continue to operate during the works, although market stalls will be configured slightly differently during this time. Council continues to work closely with all leaseholders and the garden representatives to deliver a positive outcome for the community and all Davies Park users. Every effort will be made to minimise disruption to the local community, and we thank you for your patience while we undertake these important improvements at Davies Park.
If you have any questions or would like more information, you can:
- phone the project’s information line on 1800 884 681 during business hours
- phone Council's 24-hour contact centre on 07 3403 8888.
- email the City Projects team.