Brisbane free Wi-Fi terms and conditions
Welcome to Brisbane City Council's free Wi-Fi service. Wi-Fi access is a step towards the realisation of the Brisbane Vision.
Access to Brisbane City Council's free public Wi-Fi is subject to the following terms and conditions which may be revised and changed from time to time.
If you do not agree to comply with the following terms and conditions, you will not be provided access to the public Wi-Fi hotspot.
Access to the internet through this public Wi-Fi service is provided by Telstra Corporation Ltd. Brisbane City Council does not monitor or have control over the information available on the internet and is not responsible for its content or availability. Brisbane City Council expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility arising from access to, or use of, information obtained through electronic information systems, or any consequences arising from such access or use.
The hotspot is intended to be used in a manner that shall not cause offence or disruption to others.
Usage of internet through this public Wi-Fi to persons under the age of 18 is at the responsibility of their parent or guardian.
Logging in and out of the hotspot
In order to use the hotspot, you will require a wireless enabled device with an ability to use a browser that has its own power source. You must be the lawful owner or hold the express consent for use of the lawful owner, of the wireless enabled device. You must agree to accept these terms and conditions of use by selecting 'Accept'.
You will automatically be logged out of the hotspot if any of the following occur:
- your access is terminated by reason of a breach of these terms and conditions;
- the wireless connection of the hotspot you are accessing is lost, disconnected or becomes out of range;
- no activity is detected from your wireless enabled device for a continual period of 10 minutes while logged on to the hotspot;
- you exceed the time limit of four hours;
- you exceed the data limit of 250 Megabytes;
- you attempt to manipulate or bypass any limitations of the hotspot;
- we are unable to determine the IP address of your device; and
- there is an emergency.
You agree to:
- comply with applicable laws when using the Service;
- not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party in connection with the use of the Service;
- not collect or harvest any information or data from any Service or systems or attempt to decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running any Service;
- not use the Service to transmit, send, receive, publish, post, distribute, disseminate, encourage or solicit receipt of, upload, download or use any material which is offensive, abusive, defamatory, indecent, obscene, unlawful, harassing or in breach of any other right of any other person;
- not use the Service for commercial purposes;
- not use the Service to send unsolicited emails;
- not use the Service to transmit, store, publish or upload any electronic material which is known or is likely to cause, damage or destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware or telecommunications equipment; and
- not use the Service to invade the privacy of another person, cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another person.
Information on the internet
Brisbane City Council does not guarantee the quality or accuracy of the information on the internet. It is your responsibility as a user of the Service, to determine the validity, quality and relevance of the information obtained.
Speed and reliability of the hotspot
Telstra Corporation Ltd will use its best efforts to ensure stable and secure access to the hotspot, but does not guarantee that the access will always be free of errors, virus, interception or interference. Neither Brisbane City Council nor Telstra Corporation Ltd guarantees that a hotspot will deliver continuous, fault-free or accessible connection.
If you are downloading data and you are automatically logged out of a hotspot then such data may not be recoverable or saved and neither Brisbane City Council nor Telstra Corporation Ltd shall be liable for any such loss of data or continuity. It is recommended you do not access sites where you disclose private or sensitive information, and regularly save your work.
Upon becoming aware of any malfunction of the hotspot, Telstra Corporation Ltd will attend to rectification of the fault, but is not obliged to do so within any specified time frame.
Brisbane City Council and Telstra Corporation Ltd intend for the hotspot to be used in a manner that does not offend the standards of the general community and may in its absolute and sole discretion, limit or block websites that do not meet those standards. Unacceptable websites may include, but are not limited to, websites and/or content that:
- could cause Brisbane City Council to breach any law governing its conduct or to incur a liability to any third party;
- could interfere with the integrity and/or performance of the hotspot, Telstra Corporation Ltd's network or equipment;
- depicts, alludes to, or promotes offensive or illegal behaviour;
- promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm to any group or individual;
- harasses or promotes harassment of another person;
- exploits people in a sexual or violent manner;
- contains nudity, violence or offensive subject matter or which may connect to adult websites;
- promotes conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene or defamatory;
- intentionally infringes copyright;
- involves the transmission of junk mail, chain letters, or unsolicited mailing, instant messaging or spamming;
- promotes criminal activity;
- contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or other computer programming routines that may damage, interfere or intercept access; and
- could reflect poorly on the reputation of the City of Brisbane.
If Brisbane City Council or Telstra Corporation Ltd become aware that websites are accessed in contravention of these terms and conditions, it reserves the right to immediately terminate and block the access without prior notice.
Users should be aware that the browsing or downloading of illegal information from the internet could lead to prosecution.
Neither Brisbane City Council nor Telstra Corporation Ltd can guarantee the security of the hotspot at all times. Your access and use of this hotspot is at your own risk. The onus is on you as user, to ensure that usernames, passwords and security-based information are kept private and the firewalls are installed to prevent unauthorised access.
The Service is open and public. It is recommended that you don’t send or receive sensitive personal information or carry out activities like Internet banking.
Neither Brisbane City Council nor Telstra Corporation Ltd is liable for any kind of loss or damages you may sustain as a result of your use of the hotspot.
If you agree to these terms and conditions and access the public hotspot, you consent to Brisbane City Council collecting, using, disclosing and processing information, some of which may contain your personal information.
It may also include information about the web browser type and/or operating system information used by the enabled device in order to determine the most effective and/or customised means of displaying the requested website on your device.
Telstra Corporation Ltd will collect and store the IP and MAC address of the enabled device that has accessed the hotspot, once the terms and conditions have been agreed to and may share this information with Brisbane City Council.
Brisbane City Council is not responsible for the use that any third party may make of personal information obtained through your use of the hotspot and you should make your own enquiries to satisfy yourself of the applicable policies for use of private information by the websites accessed by you.
You agree to answer survey questions in relation to the hotspot and for Brisbane City Council to use and publish usage statistics.
Release and indemnity
By using Brisbane City Council's Wi-Fi hotspot, you release and discharge Brisbane City Council from any liability which might arise from the use of the service including liability in relation to defamatory or offensive material or any breach of the copyright which may occur as a result of use.
You agree to indemnify and must defend and hold harmless Brisbane City Council, its employees and agents, from and against:
- all loss, damage, liability, charge, expense (including all reasonable legal and other professional costs on a full indemnity basis) of any nature or kind arising from your breach of these terms and conditions
- all loss of profit, revenue, data or opportunities arising from or in connection with your use of any hotspot.