Riverhills public pontoon project - Riverhills
Brisbane City Council will be constructing a new public pontoon at the end of Sumners Road, in Newcomb Park, Riverhills.
Council is committed to improving access to the Brisbane River for residents and visitors, promoting an active and healthy lifestyle by:
- encouraging greater use of the city's recreational facilities
- enhancing the attractions offered by the Brisbane River as a recreational and tourist destination.
|Address||529 Sumners Road, Riverhills (near the Centenary Rowing Club facility in Newcomb Park)|
|Project outcome||To provide an additional river access point for this already popular recreational area|
|Latest news||Construction underway from late January 2020|
About the project
Construction of the pontoon will start in late January 2020 and will be completed in mid-2020, weather and site conditions permitting.
The pontoon will provide an additional river access point for this popular recreational area and will be able to facilitate a range of vessels and uses including:
- launching and short-term use of passive crafts such as kayaks, canoes and stand-up paddleboards
- short-term use for recreational vessels
- pick-up and drop-off for commercial vessels up to 75 tonnes
- a rest point or destination within a network of other public pontoons.
View the concept plan in your preferred format:
- Riverhills public pontoon concept plan (PDF - 253kb)
- Riverhills public pontoon concept plan (Word - 1.8Mb).
Construction of the public pontoon will involve onshore and on-water piling activities and offsite fabrication of a pontoon before the pontoon is transported via water and attached to the piles. The works will also involve constructing an access path to provide increased accessibility to the pontoon.
Construction will take place between 6.30am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday. Council is committed to keeping the community informed of construction in the area and will provide advance notification of any out-of-hours activities.
Every effort will be made to minimise disruption to the local community during this work.
If you would like to provide feedback on this public pontoon project, you can:
- phone the project team during business hours on 1800 884 681
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.