If getting fit and healthy is at the top of your to-do list, let Brisbane City Council help you kick goals with our 22 pools, over 150 outdoor gyms, thousands of free or low-cost active and healthy classes, and lots of bikeways, walking trails and more. Regardless of your current fitness level, budget, ability or location, we've got something for everyone!
To get you pumped and ready for a new, motivated you, here's some fit-spiration from a local professional fitness instructor.
Fitness tips from a pro
Owner of FitazFK Gym in Kangaroo Point, Aaron McAllister, has put together these eight tips to keep your fitness goals on track.
- Choose something you enjoy doing. Is there a sport you used to play, or a type of training you used to enjoy? If so, try that!
- Work out with a buddy or a training partner - someone who'll keep you accountable and you enjoy being around. Maybe team up with an old mate that you don't get to see much - that way you'll get fit together and catch up.
- Always work out at the same time each day. Make it a habit, like brushing your teeth.
- Choose something convenient. When choosing a venue, try to find a location on the way to or from work.
- Set a goal. We always work better when we work towards something. Try to make your goals achievable and realistic, but also make them definite and time-specific. Use mini-goals as stepping blocks to achieve your major goal. Once you achieve your major goal, make sure you choose a new one. It might be a goal around achieving a longer distance or lifting more weight.
- Change it up. Always try to change your workouts to avoid monotony and boredom.
- Use a trainer or do a class. It's a great way to be accountable and who better to show you the path to getting fit, than someone who's already there! Getting a trainer will help you stay regular with your exercise and not miss workouts.
- Find a place or a gym where you enjoy going to train. Being involved in a community will help you look forward to your training and seeing your friends, rather than dreading your workout.
Find your fitness style
Council's free or low-cost active and healthy classes have been designed to suit a range of fitness styles, goals and abilities - from workouts in natural settings, to active adventures, to sessions for cardio, strength and toning and relaxation. Use our find your fitness style page to help determine your fitness style. We've listed heaps of possible class and exercise activity options under each fitness style.