We all begin the new year with plans like starting a new hobby, working out more, reading a book a week, or exploring and experiencing more of our local area. Perhaps your plans are tracking along full steam ahead, or maybe they came to a halt once your summer break finished and you returned to 'real-life'.
Need some help with finding a new hobby or interest for 2020? Check out our suggestions grouped by interest below.
1. Find a new way to move
- You might be back in the office, but that doesn't mean your goal to move more needs to fall by the wayside. Tee off at one of our 18-hole golf courses and take advantage of our mates' rates if you can score a long weekend.
- Relieve tech-neck with a self-guided workout at one of Council's parks with an outdoor gym. Perfect a chin up, one-kilometre row, or tricep dip with static and interactive exercise equipment. Need some inspiration? Check out our how-to videos for Council's outdoor gyms with personal trainer Roger on our YouTube channel.
- Forget your two left feet and head to one of our weekly seniors (GOLD) dance, dance, dance classes at Inala. With dance styles including jazz, Latin, ballet and more, this class will keep you on your toes. We've also got Zumba, line dancing, OPAcize Greek dance fitness, Hot Hula, Bollywood and ballroom classes, so check our event listings to dance your way to fitness.
2. Get out and about on two wheels
- Bring the family together for a weekend ride with your own two wheels or CityCycle bike hire. Rise early and pedal along Kedron Brook Bikeway, the New Farm Riverwalk, or the Bicentennial Bikeway between Brisbane City and Toowong. Stop along the way to take in the sights, or have a leisurely breakfast at one of the suburbs' cafes before getting back on your bike. There are heaps of rides to choose from.
- If you'd prefer a guided ride, book in for one of our free bike ride events. As well as taking in the sights along the way you'll be shown basic skills, safety and riding etiquette.
- Been a while since you rode a bike? Test the saying 'you never forget how to ride a bike' and regain your confidence at our bike riding skills for adults workshops at locations across the city, where you'll learn the basics for getting back on two wheels.
- Dial it up a notch, at one of our BMX tracks. Whether you're on training wheels or an experienced rider, you can use the high-quality tracks to learn to ride, practise new tricks, or even prepare to compete at a BMX race!
3. Dabble in the arts
- Uke can do it! Learn the ukelele at our part 1 class for seniors to learn chords, strum patterns and song structure. Bookings are required.
4. Go green
- Love food and hate waste with a meal preparation or 'grow it, cook it, compost it' workshop. The sessions are led by experts, so you'll leave with lots of handy tips and skills.
- Get your green thumbs out as you join a community garden or city farm, Habitat Brisbane group, or one of our many green workshops.
5. Take a walk on the wild side
- Unplug and get back to nature with guided walks at locations across Brisbane.
- Listen to your favourite podcast or music while you walk at your own pace on one of our self-guided walks at the Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha.
- Walk in one of Brisbane's 16 bushland reserves. Some favourites include Chermside Hills Reserves, Boondall Wetlands, Karawatha Forest Park, Tinchi Tamba Wetlands and Toohey Forest Park.
Are you inspired?
Are you feeling inspired now? Good. There's plenty more to see and do in Brisbane to fill your spare time and make 2020 a year to remember.