Guyatt Park ferry terminal upgrade
Brisbane City Council will upgrade the Guyatt Park ferry terminal as part of Council's commitment to deliver Australia’s most modern public transport.
|Address||Guyatt Park, Hiron Street, St Lucia|
|Project outcome||The upgraded ferry terminal will feature improved accessibility for all passengers and increase the terminal capacity to cater for current and future demand.|
Construction starting late May 2019. The ferry terminal will be closed during construction.
Download the latest project newsletter:
About the project
Council identified Guyatt Park ferry terminal requires an upgrade. It will feature improved accessibility for all passengers. The upgrade will increase the terminal capacity to cater for current and future demand.
Council’s ferry terminal upgrade program has committed more than $70 million over the next four years to upgrade existing ferry terminals. These upgrades ensure everyone can enjoy Council’s CityCat and CityFerry services.
These upgrades will make the terminal safer and easier to use for all passengers. A variety of features will be integrated to assist with accessibility. Features include easily accessible timetables and help points. For example braille and tactile signage including tactile ground surface indicators. This will provide safe wayfinding and upgraded lighting to meet current standards. These upgrades will also improve amenity by providing an additional covered entry area and viewing platform. There will be seating and rest-zones for persons with mobility impairment.
Construction commences late May 2019 and expected to be complete late 2019, weather and construction conditions permitting. The Guyatt Park ferry terminal will be closed during construction. Work will take place from Monday to Saturday between 6.30am and 6.30pm.
Construction of the terminal will involve:
- dismantling and removing the exiting pontoon and gangway
- installing new pylons
- constructing a new gangway and flood resistant, dual berthing pontoon
- constructing a fully shaded entry area
- refurbishing and repurposing the existing passenger waiting area to be a partly shaded viewing platform
- installing new terminal signs
- improving lighting and safety features
- improved accessible shared path on approach to the terminal
- bicycle parking facilities.
Construction is expected to take place primarily from the river and a barge. A construction compound will be established in Guyatt Park for the duration of the works. Council will take care to minimise disruption of access is required through the park. Traffic control will be in place around the work area when required. Every effort to minimise disruption to the community during this work. Council will provide advance notification for any out-of-hours works and construction impacts.
Public transport options
Alternate transport options will be provided during construction. If the following options are not suitable, phone 1800 884 681 to discuss possible alternatives.
Regular bus services will be running from:
- stop 21 - Sir Red Schonell Drive, St Lucia ferry terminal (in front of Nandos) less than one kilometre from the ferry terminal
- route 412 - city bus takes approximately 30 minutes to Roma Street
- stop 138 - near Ann Street, City in peak times.
Services from UQ St Lucia and Regatta will operate as normal.
Services to and from Guyatt Park will be cancelled during construction.
CityCycle stations are located at:
- station 19 - Macquarie Street in Guyatt Park
- station 148 - corner Sandford and Austral Streets
- station 150 - corner Macquarie and Munro Streets.
Visit the CityCycle website or phone 1300 229 253 for more information.
Council cabs operate weekly in most suburbs for eligible residents who have difficulties getting to their local amenities.
For more information about the Guyatt Park ferry terminal upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Ferry Infrastructure team
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.