Cardwell Street commuter link - Forest Lake
The Cardwell Street commuter link at Forest Lake is part of the Brisbane City Council's commitment to provide $120 million in new bikeway infrastructure over four years as part of the Active Transport Strategy for the Better Bikeways 4 Brisbane program.
|Address||Cardwell Street, Forest Lake|
|Project outcomes||To improve connection options from local bikeways or shared pathways in key suburban areas to the Centenary Highway bikeway.|
|Latest update||Construction of the Cardwell Street commuter link began in June and is now complete.|
About the project
Link 8 connects Forest Lake Boulevard and the Centenary Highway bikeway at Forest Lake. A path between Forest Lake Boulevard and Yarraman Place was constructed as well as a Bicycle Awareness Zone on Yarraman Place and Cardwell Street.
This link will improve access to the Centenary Highway bikeway and reduce the need for cyclists to travel along Forest Lake Boulevard, improving cyclist safety.
The Link 8 project involved:
- constructing a 2m wide shared path between Forest Lake Boulevard and the eastern end of Yarraman Place
- line marking, including installing a Bicycle Awareness Zone on Yarraman Place and Cardwell Street
- modifying the noise mitigation fence along Forest Lake Boulevard to accommodate the new path
- installing directional signage
- removing two trees beside the existing footpath on Forest Lake Boulevard.
Construction began in June 2014 and is now complete.
The Centenary Highway Commuter Links projects are a group of projects that have been identified as part of Council's commitment for Brisbane City Council to provide $120 million to design, build and support the growth of cycling throughout Brisbane through building new bikeway infrastructure and improving connectivity to existing pathways.
Early investigations along the Centenary Highway have identified the need to improve bikeway links between the local bikeways or shared pathways in key suburban areas and the Centenary Highway bikeway.
Cardwell Street in Forest Lake was identified as a link project along the Centenary Highway to improve connectivity to the Brisbane CBD.
Previously, there was no formal connection between Forest Lake Boulevard and the Centenary Highway through this area.
Benefits of the project include:
- improved safety, including better signage
- a better connection from the local suburban area to the Centenary Highway bikeway and the Brisbane CBD.
To find out more or to provide feedback on this group of projects, you can:
- call the project team on 1800 669 416
- email the project team
- write to:
Centenary Highway Commuter Links Project
Cardwell Street, Forest Lake
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001