Adelaide Street pedestrian improvements - Brisbane City
Brisbane City Council has completed works to install a new pedestrian crossing with traffic lights on Adelaide Street between Albert and Edward streets to provide a safe crossing alternative for pedestrians.
|Address||126 Adelaide Street, Brisbane City|
|Project outcome||Improved safety and access for pedestrians|
Works completed in late June 2019
About the project
Council is committed to delivering safe and accessible active transport options throughout Brisbane for all members of the community. As part of this commitment, Council conducted a Citywide Pedestrian Safety Review to identify programs and projects to help improve safety for pedestrians. In September 2018, the interim report identified Adelaide Street as a location requiring safety improvements for people walking and riding in the CBD.
The new crossing is located at 126 Adelaide Street (near Student Flights) and works involved:
- new signalised crossing and line marking
- new kerb ramps and kerb build out
- resurfacing sections of the road surrounding the new crossing
- relocating signage for bus stop 40 approximately 10 metres east of current location
- removal of the loading bay near bus stop 40
- relocation of some existing bench seats and rubbish bins.
Bus stop 40 has reopened approximately 10 metres east of the original location to make way for the new crossing point. This bus stop was temporarily closed during construction to facilitate the works.
One tree, located near the new crossing point, was removed as it was in poor health. A similar tree was replanted as part of the project. This work as undertaken in accordance with Council's environmental offset policies and relevant legislative requirements.
Download the project plan in your prefered format:
- Adelaide Street mid-block crossing project plan (PDF - 992Kb)
- Adelaide Street mid-block crossing project plan (Word - 1.3Mb)
Early works were undertaken from late April to mid-May 2019 and involved the relocation of the water main on Adelaide Street.
Civil construction works started in mid-May 2019 and were completed in late June 2019.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the Adelaide Street mid-block crossing, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council's Centre on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Adelaide Street mid-block crossing project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane QLD 4001.