Old Cleveland Road widening project - Carindale
Brisbane City Council upgraded the westbound carriageway of Old Cleveland Road at Carindale to improve safety and reduce congestion for all road users.
|Address||Old Cleveland Road, Carindale|
|Project outcomes||Improve safety and reduce congestion for road users.|
|Latest update||Construction completed late June 2019|
About the project
The Old Cleveland Road widening project is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects take real action on congestion by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
Old Cleveland Road is one of the key east-west arterial roads between Brisbane City and Cleveland and carries approximately 55,000 vehicles per day. With the widening of the westbound carriageway of Old Cleveland Road, road users will benefit from improved safety and reduced congestion.
The upgrade has reduced the need for motorists to merge from the Gateway Motorway off-ramp directly on to Old Cleveland Road, reducing congestion along the corridor and increasing the capacity of Old Cleveland Road to cater for existing and future traffic demands.
Cyclists will also benefit from improved safety with the existing on-road bike lane on the westbound side of Old Cleveland Road extended through to 1313 Old Cleveland Road. A cyclist exit ramp provides for safe egress from the on-road bike lane to the existing path network.
The project involved extending the third lane at the Scrub Road intersection of Old Cleveland Road to tie into the Gateway Motorway off ramp. This has increased the number of lanes from two to three along this 300 metre section of Old Cleveland Road. Other works included:
- extending the existing on-road bike lane on the westbound side of Old Cleveland Road with a two metre-wide on-road bike lane through to 1313 Old Cleveland Road
- installing a cyclist exit ramp to provide safe exit from the on-road bike lane that will connect into the existing path network
- upgrading street lighting along Old Cleveland Road
- installing additional stormwater drainage
- new line marking and signs.
- Old Cleveland Road widening project - project plan (PDF - 1.5Mb)
- Old Cleveland Road widening project - project plan (Word - 822kb).
Construction started in April 2019 and was completed in late June 2019.
If you would like to find out more about the Old Cleveland Road widening project you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during working hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of working hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Old Cleveland Road widening project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.