Warrigal Road, Bellmead Street and Plum Street intersection upgrade project - Runcorn
Brisbane City Council has upgraded the Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets intersection in Runcorn to improve access and safety for all road users.
|Address||Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets intersection|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety and reduced congestion|
End of construction in mid-August 2019
About the project
Council upgraded the Warrigal Road, Bellmead Street and Plum Street intersection to reduce congestion and improve access to local streets for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians travelling through the intersection, as well as ensure it can cater to future traffic demands.
Prior to the upgrade, the intersection experienced a high level of congestion on Warrigal Road, hindering access into and out of Bellmead Street and Plum Street, particularly during the morning and afternoon peak periods.
This project is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer. This project is jointly funded by Council and the Australian Government as part of the Roads to Recovery (R2R) program.
The works included:
- installing a signalised intersection at Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets, including pedestrian and cyclist crossing facilities
- widening Warrigal Road from one to two lanes each way in the vicinity of the intersection
- widening the northern side of Plum Street, adjacent to Warrigal Road
- installing new two metre-wide shared pedestrian and cycle paths on either side of Warrigal Road
- resurfacing and line marking
As part of the works, Council identified 12 trees for removal. This vegetation impact was offset by the planting of 12 new trees in the project vicinity and 11 additional trees in the local area. Replanting was undertaken in accordance with Council’s environmental policies and relevant legislative requirements.
View the project plan:
- Warrigal Road, Bellmead Street and Plum Street intersection upgrade - project plan – November 2018 (PDF - 2.1Mb)
- Warrigal Road, Bellmead Street and Plum Street intersection upgrade - project plan – November 2018 (Word - 1.3Mb)
View the community newsletter:
- Warrigal Road, Bellmead Street and Plum Street intersection upgrade – newsletter – November 2018 (PDF - 4.8Mb)
- Warrigal Road, Bellmead Street and Plum Street intersection upgrade – newsletter – November 2018 (Word - 1.2Mb).
The community benefits of the project include:
- improved safety for road users by signalising the intersection
- reduced congestion
- controlled pedestrian/cyclist crossing facilities.
For more information about the Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets intersection upgrade project, you can
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during working hours
- phone Council on 3403 8888 (outside of working hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets intersection upgrade project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.