Wolston Creek Bridge upgrade - Wacol
Brisbane City Council reconstructed the Wolston Creek Bridge on Wacol Station Road, Wacol to increase safety and accessibility for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists, and improve travel time reliability and freight connectivity to the Ipswich Motorway.
|Address||Wacol Station Road, Wacol|
|Project outcomes||Increased safety and accessibility and improved travel time reliability and freight connectivity.|
End of construction.
View the project plan in your preferred format:
About the project
Wolston Creek Bridge is located on Wacol Station Road, Wacol. It is a busy freight connection between Sumner Park industrial estate and Ipswich Motorway. It also provides connectivity to the Progress Road industrial precincts, Wacol.
The previous timber bridge was in poor condition and required interim repairs to keep it in operation until it could be replaced. The timber bridge had a load restriction of 4.5 tonnes and speed restriction of 40 kilometres per hour.
The project is part of Council's $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
This project was jointly funded by Council and the Australian Government as part of the Roads to Recovery program.
The project involved:
- replacing the existing timber bridge with a new two lane concrete bridge to the west of the existing bridge
- realigning the approaches to the bridge
- upgrading the stormwater treatment zone to improve drainage
- installing wider lane widths to cater for cyclists
- installing a shared pedestrian and cycle path on the western side of the new bridge
- installing fauna fencing on both sides of the road to shelter wildlife from traffic.
Construction started in April 2017 and was completed in mid-June 2018.
Council would like to thank local residents and motorists for their patience and cooperation while works were undertaken to improve road safety.
If you would like to provide feedback, or find out more about the Wolston Creek Bridge upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Wolston Creek Bridge upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.
Find out about other current projects funded by the Australian Government Roads to Recovery Programme.