Indooroopilly Riverwalk - Indooroopilly
Brisbane City Council is planning to deliver the Indooroopilly Riverwalk project in Indooroopilly.
The Indooroopilly Riverwalk project will provide a safer connection for cyclists and pedestrians with approximately 790 metres of new infrastructure between Witton Road (near Twigg Street) to Witton Barracks. The riverwalk will also provide connections to Radnor Street and Riverview Terrace.
|Address||Witton Road to Radnor Street, Indooroopilly|
|Project outcome||Improve safety and connectivity for cyclists and pedestrians|
Indooroopilly Riverwalk project update: Stages 1 and 2 to be delivered together.
Download the project plan in your preferred format:
About the project
The Indooroopilly Riverwalk project was previously communicated as 'Indooroopilly Bikeway - stage 1'. The project was originally planned to be delivered in two stages, with stage 1 to be delivered in 2019 and stage 2 to be delivered at a later date, subject to funding.
In mid-2018, Council undertook a series of public consultation activities and after considering feedback in late 2018, Council decided to merge the two stages and deliver them as the Indooroopilly Riverwalk.
The Indooroopilly Riverwalk will connect Twigg Street and Witton Road to the Witton Barracks, Indooroopilly, with connections to Radnor Street and Riverview Terrace. The project also creates a safe crossing point for pedestrians and cyclists under the railway bridge, which provides an alternative option to crossing Coonan Street at Westminster Road.
This project is part of Council's commitment to getting you home quicker and safer by creating dedicated bikeways and walking options. The Indooroopilly Riverwalk will encourage residents to get out and about with more active transport options as part of Brisbane's growing network of safe, convenient and connected bikeways.
The project will benefit the community by:
- providing 790 metres of high quality, connected and accessible riverwalk and pathways
- improving safety and efficiency for pedestrians and cyclists with a separated off-road facility
- promoting an active and healthy lifestyle by encouraging more walking and cycling
- creating a critical part of a future bikeway corridor between the Western Freeway Bikeway and University of Queensland.
The project will include:
- a new five-metre-wide separated cyclist and pedestrian facility
- a shared connection to Foxton Street from the riverwalk
- upgrading the Foxton Street and Radnor Street intersection to create a safer environment for all road users
- removing the former mess hall at Witton Barracks
- a dedicated pedestrian connection to Riverview Terrace
- a viewing platform on the riverwalk overlooking the Brisbane River
- lighting along the length of the riverwalk
- a design that is flood resilient
- landscaping and wayfinding signage.
Council is finalising the design over the coming months and will provide an update as more information becomes available. Construction is anticipated to start from early 2020.
If you would like to provide comments to find out more about the Indooroopilly Riverwalk project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Indooroopilly Riverwalk project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.