Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade project - West End
Brisbane City Council is planning to upgrade the Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection at West End to improve safety and access for all road users.
|Address||Montague Road and Victoria Street, West End|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety|
|Latest update||Project introduction|
About the project
The Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection has been identified as a location within the local road network that requires an upgrade to improve safety and access for all road users and cater for current and future demand.
The Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection caters to a high volume of vehicles, buses, cyclists and pedestrians and provides an important connection to the local shops, businesses and residential areas. The intersection carries approximately 16,000 vehicles, 270 cyclists and 1850 pedestrians each day. The high volume of traffic and turning movements through the intersection make it difficult to find a gap for pedestrians to cross Montague Road.
The intersection has recorded a total of five crashes between July 2014 and June 2019, which resulted in one hospitalisation and four requiring medical treatment.
The Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade project is jointly funded by the Australian Government and Council as part o the Australian Government's Roads to Recovery program. The project is also part of Council's $1.3 billion commitment for more than 90 road improvement projects, to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
The project will upgrade the current priority-controlled intersection to a signalised intersection with controlled pedestrian crossings.
The Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade works will involve:
- installing traffic lights with signal-controlled pedestrian crossings over Montague Road and the western leg of Victoria Street
- installing a new indented bus bay for the inbound CityGlider bus services
- widening the road to install a right-turn lane, southbound on Montague Road, for access into Victoria Street
- installing on-road cycle facilities on Montague Road through the intersection
- lowering the crest on Montague Road to improve sight lines
- reduction in speed limit on Montague Road from 60 to 50 km/h between Vulture and Drake streets
- relocating public utility services
- constructing new footpaths and kerb ramps
- tree removal and landscaping.
To facilitate the upgrade, Council has identified 10 street trees to be removed in the area surrounding the intersection. Vegetation removal will be offset in accordance with Council's policies and relevant legislative requirements.
Council has identified six car parks (five informal and one metered) to be removed in order to facilitate the installation of traffic signals and indented bus bay for inbound services.
Download the project plan in your preferred format:
- Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade - newsletter (PDF - 9.7Mb)
- Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade - newsletter (Word - 2.2Mb)
- Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade - project plan (PDF - 767kb)
- Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade - project plan (Word - 1.6Mb).
The table includes the proposed timeline for this project.
|Early 2020||Detailed design complete|
|Early 2020 to mid-2020||Early works to relocate public utility services|
|Mid-2020 to early 2021||Civil construction|
Council will continue to keep the local community informed as the project progresses and more information is available.
Community information sessions
The project team held two community information sessions in early December 2019 to gain feedback on the concept design. Council is considering the feedback received and will provide an update to the community in early 2020.
If you would more information about this project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.