Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade - Newstead
Brisbane City Council is planning works to upgrade the intersection of Commercial Road and Doggett Street in Newstead to improve safety for all road users.
|Address||Commercial Road and Doggett Street, Newstead|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety|
|Latest update||Project introduction|
About the project
The intersection has been identified by Council as requiring safety improvements, particularly for pedestrian movements across Commercial Road due to the large volume of pedestrians in the area. In addition, a total of seven crashes were reported at the intersection between April 2013 and June 2019, which resulted in three hospitalisations, three requiring medical treatment and one minor injury.
The project involves signalising the intersection to provide controlled pedestrian crossing facilities and formalise right-turn movements for both west and eastbound traffic on Commercial Road. A right-turn pocket will also be introduced on the southern approach of Doggett Street.
Due to the signalisation, there will be changes to on-street parking in the area surrounding the intersection and changes to line marking at the Longland Street and Doggett Street intersection. Additionally, bike boxes will be introduced on the Commercial Road approaches of the intersection to facilitate cycle users.
This project is jointly funded by Council and the Australian Government through the Urban Congestion initiative.
The following traffic changes will occur due to this project.
Doggett Street proposed one way, between Commercial Road and Longland Street
To accommodate the signalisation of the intersection and limit congestion, Council is proposing Doggett Street be converted to a one-way street for northbound traffic only, between Commercial Road and Longland Street. In addition to limiting congestion, this change will improve safety on Doggett Street.
Southbound traffic on Longland Street will have to use alternative local streets to access Commercial Road such as Kyabra Street and Masters Street.
Works will involve:
- signalising the intersection and provide controlled pedestrian crossing facilities
- extending the right-turn pocket, west and eastbound, on Commercial Road
- installing a right-turn pocket southbound on Doggett Street
- converting Doggett Street to a one-way street for northbound traffic only, between Commercial Road and Longland Street
- removal of four on-street parking bays on Doggett Street and six on-street parking bays on Commercial Road
- relocation of the Australia Post box and loading zone on Commercial Road
- installing bike boxes on Commercial Road at the intersection
- kerb and channel works
- resurfacing and line marking.
Download the project documents in your preferred format:
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade newslettter (PDF - 2.5Mb)
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade newslettter (Word - 2Mb)
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade project plan (PDF - 849kb)
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade project plan (Word - 1.3Mb).
Council has completed the concept design and is now progressing the preliminary design.
If you would like more information about this project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.