Waterworks Road upgrade (Trout Street to Beth Eden Terrace) - Ashgrove
Brisbane City Council is upgrading Waterworks Road, between Trout Street and Beth Eden Terrace at Ashgrove. The Waterworks Road upgrade is part of Council's $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects.
The fly-through video shows detailed design features for the upgrade between Trout Street to Beth Eden Terrace, Ashgrove. Watch the fly-through video to find out about the project.
Alternatively, you can watch the video and other related videos on Council's YouTube channel.
Read the supporting information for this video.
|Address||Waterworks Road, Ashgrove, between Trout Street and Beth Eden Terrace|
|Project outcomes||Improve traffic efficiency, reduce congestion and improve safety for all road users.|
|Project plans||Download the project documents in your preferred format:|
|Latest update||Construction underway|
About the project
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise that construction of the Waterworks Road upgrade at Ashgrove is progressing well and is expected to be completed in early 2020, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Council identified the 315 metre-long section of Waterworks Road, from Trout Street to Beth Eden Terrace as a priority upgrade. This is based on current high levels of congestion, delays and unreliable travel times. Council expects traffic volumes will continue to grow, intensifying congestion problems.
The upgrade will improve safety for road users, improve reliability of travel times, and help cater for existing and future traffic demands along this busy road corridor.
The project involves:
- widening sections of Waterworks Road between Trout Street and Ashgrove Avenue to provide two through-traffic lanes and a dedicated left-turn lane into Ashgrove Avenue and extending the right-turn lane into Stewart Road
- providing eight all-day dedicated parking bays on the inbound side of Waterworks Road adjacent to the local shopping precinct
- widening the section of Stewart Road between Waterworks Road and Harry Street to provide an additional right-turn lane into Waterworks Road
- relocating the inbound bus stop in the project area to reduce the impact on traffic flow and improve efficiency
- replacing the indented outbound bus stop between Stewart Road and Ashgrove Avenue with an in-lane outbound bus stop to improve safety
- relocating the inbound and outbound T2 lanes by 150 metres on the eastern side of Ashgrove Avenue
- reinstating kerb and channel
- road resurfacing and line marking
- removing 10 trees and three scrubs
- planting 20 trees.
Once complete, the upgrade will:
- provide a safe and efficient road network by relocating and replacing bus stops along Waterworks Road
- improve traffic flow for road users, by providing an additional right-turn lane from Stewart Road into Waterworks Road, an additional inbound through-traffic lane, and a left-turn lane into Ashgrove Avenue from Waterworks Road
- improve capacity to cater for current and future traffic volumes
- enhance reliability of travel times for all transport modes.
Stewart Road water main replacement
Council is also replacing the water main under Stewart Road, between Waterworks Road and Elimatta Drive. This planned infrastructure upgrade will be completed in parallel with the Waterworks Road upgrade, to minimise disruption to local residents.
Works to replace the water main under Stewart Road are expected to be completed in late 2019, weather and construction conditions permitting. Activities will include excavation, service connections, removing the old water main and installing the new piping.
Construction hours and impacts
Works started on both the Waterworks Road upgrade and the water main replacement in Stewart Road in April 2019.
Construction works for the Waterworks Road upgrade and Stewart Road water main replacement will be undertaken between 7pm and 5am, Sunday to Thursday. The noisiest parts of the works including saw cutting and jack hammering, will be completed before 11pm, where possible. Council will continue to review opportunities to replace periods of night works with day works between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday, as well as weekend works to assist in minimising the impact to residents and businesses.
During construction, the local community can expect some construction noise, dust, low levels of vibration and increased truck movements. Council is committed to keeping local residents and businesses informed of construction activity in their area and will provide advance notification to affected residents and businesses before any planned outages.
Changed traffic conditions
During the project, changed traffic conditions will be required along Waterworks Road at Ashgrove. This will involve lane and shoulder closures, reduced speed limits and some delays. Where required, detours and traffic management will be in place to direct road users and pedestrians. Waterworks Road will remain open to traffic during these works. Pedestrian access to businesses on Stewart Road, Waterworks Road and Ashgrove Avenue will be maintained, with signage and temporary fencing in place to ensure safety.
In order to widen sections of Waterworks Road and Stewart Road, it is necessary to remove 10 trees. Vegetation impacts will be offset in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements. Council will replant at least 20 trees in the local area to enhance amenity and maintain Ashgrove’s character. All work will be carried out in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines and Council will make every effort to minimise environmental impacts during construction.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the Waterworks Road upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team during business hours on 1800 010 705
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside business hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Waterworks Road upgrade (Trout Street to Beth Eden Terrace) project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.