Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade - Coorparoo
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection in Coorparoo to improve safety for all road users.
|Address||Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety and reduce traffic congestion|
Early works completed in June 2019. Construction from July 2019 to early 2020.
About the project
Brisbane City Council has identified the Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection in Coorparoo as a location that requires an upgrade to improve safety and reduce congestion.
This project is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on safety and congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
The intersection carries approximately 31,000 vehicles per day and has a high crash rate with 33 recorded accidents between August 2008 and July 2018. The majority of the crashes involved motorists turning right from Chatsworth Road and Samuel Street colliding with oncoming traffic.
The project aims to prevent future accidents by better controlling the right-turn movements.
The project will involve:
- providing a dedicated right-turn lane on Chatsworth Road into Boundary Road
- installing a fully controlled right-turn with arrows on both Chatsworth Road and Samuel Street
- widening Chatsworth Road and Samuel Street to allow for an additional through lane in the westbound direction
- changes to signal operations to reduce the potential conflict between vehicles and pedestrians with the removal of the left slip lane from Samuel Street to Boundary Road.
The Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade project is jointly funded by the Australian Government and Council as part of the Australian Government's Roads to Recovery (R2R) program.
Download the project documents in your preferred format:
- Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade project plan (PDF - 1Mb)
- Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade project plan (Word - 1.3Mb)
- Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade artist impression (PDF - 399kb)
- Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade artist impression (Word - 242kb)
- Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade newsletter - May 2018 (PDF - 440kb)
- Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade newsletter - May 2018 (Word - 733Kb).
The project benefits will include:
- improved road user safety with controlled right-turn movements from Chatsworth Road and Samuel Street into Boundary Road
- reduced congestion with an additional through lane on Samuel Street and right-turn lane on Chatsworth Road
- improved pedestrian safety with modified signal phasing.
Early works involving removal of the commercial building at 137 Boundary Road are now complete.
Civil construction works started in late July 2019 and are expected to be completed in early 2020, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Construction works and impacts
Construction will generally take place between 7pm and 5am from Sunday to Thursday, when traffic volumes are lowest to ensure the safety of motorists and works and to minimise traffic disruptions. Where possible, day works will be undertaken between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday.
Every effort will be made to minimise disruption to the local community during this work, and where possible particularly noisy works will be completed by 11pm. However, residents and business owners may still experience construction noise after 11pm from plant and machinery operating throughout the night and increased lighting in the area.
The speed limit through the construction area will be reduced to 40km/h during the works. Some temporary lane closures will also be required and may include detours for cyclists and pedestrians. Where necessary, traffic controllers and signage will be onsite to assist road users through the site safely.
Council is committed to keeping the community informed of construction in their area and will provide advance notification of out of hours works, particularly noisy works, major access changes and disruptions to property access or services.
As part of the construction activities, the contractor will be utilising the vacant lot on the corner of Chatsworth Road and Boundary Road as the site compound and laydown area for materials and equipment. This area is Council land and will have temporary fencing to secure the area.
While every effort will be made to minimise the impact on vegetation, Council has identified two street trees to be removed as part of the upgrade. The project will offset this by planting eight new trees around the intersection and in the local area. All works will be undertaken in accordance with Council's offset policies and legislative requirements.
If you would like to ask questions or find out more about the Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade project you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 010 705 (during business hours)
- phone Council’s contact centre on 07 3403 8888 (outside of business hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Chatsworth Road, Boundary Road and Samuel Street intersection upgrade
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.