Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Geebung
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection at Geebung. The upgrade will improve traffic efficiency, reduce congestion and increase safety for all road users.
Watch the fly-through video to learn about this stage of the project. Read supporting information for this fly-through video.
|Address||Murphy Road and Ellison Road, Geebung|
|Project outcomes||Reduced congestion, improved safety and traffic efficiency|
Construction activities commenced in early 2019. Expected completion of works is early 2020.
About the project
The project will install a signalised intersection to replace the existing roundabout at Murphy Road and Ellison Road, Geebung. The project will include some associated widening adjacent to the intersection. These works will:
- improve traffic
- reduce congestion
- increase safety for road users
- help cater for existing and future traffic demands along this busy corridor.
Council is committing $1.3 billion on more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion in Brisbane. The focus is on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
The existing roundabout at Murphy Road and Ellison Road is currently operating at capacity in the morning peak and over capacity in the evening peak. There are long delays and queues on the southern and northern approaches. Congestion through the intersection will increase without intervention.
The project includes replacing the existing roundabout at Murphy Road and Ellison Road with a signalised intersection. Council will widen Murphy Road from two to four lanes from the Gympie Road intersection to north of the Butt Street intersection. Upgrades to the Kittyhawk Drive and Murphy Road intersection will cater for future traffic flows and improve the road alignment. The Butt Street and Murphy Road intersection will be signalised. This will improve safety for pedestrians and vehicles accessing Butt Street.
The upgrade also involves:
- provision of a three lane southbound approach on Murphy Road
- widening Ellison Road to four lanes between Danette and Gambia Streets
- upgrading the Kittyhawk Drive and Murphy Road intersection to include:
- additional through lanes in each direction
- a right-turn pocket into Kittyhawk Drive
- a u-turn facility for southbound traffic
- signalising the Butt Street and Murphy Road intersection to include:
- a pedestrian crossing
- a right-turn pocket into Butt Street
- a new mini roundabout at the intersection of Butt Street and Fernlea Street
- providing additional off-road car parking adjacent to Marchant Park and 7th Brigade Park
- incorporating on-road cycle lanes in both directions on Murphy Road and Ellison Road
- converting Marathon Street and Blackwood Road to left-in, left-out access only to improve safety
- constructing a new access road to Navarre Street
- providing indented bus stops adjacent to the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection
- landscaping and line marking.
Re-planting will offset the removal of trees in accordance with Council's offset planting guidelines.
Construction update - September 2019
Some of the public utility services works are already complete along Murphy Road, both north and south of the roundabout, and a significant portion of the remaining utility services works along this road are nearing completion over the coming months. Commissioning of these services have commenced, as have the new pavement works on some sections of Murphy Road.
A large portion of the public utility services works are also well underway on Ellison Road, both east and west of the roundabout.
Over the next few months, you can expect to see the following works being carried out throughout the project site, weather and site conditions permitting.
Murphy Road north, between Ellison Road and Butt Street
- Completing installation of the public utility services
- Completing retaining wall works on the eastern side of Murphy Road
- Continuing private property reinstatement works
- Continuing construction of new footpaths and bus stops
- Completing pavement works on the eastern side of Murphy Road
- Commencing pavement works on the western side of Murphy Road
Murphy Road south, between Gympie Road and Ellison Road
- Completing installation of the public utility services and stormwater drainage
- Completing construction of the new shared pathway, footpaths and bus stops
- Completing pavement works on the eastern side of the road, including the new car park in 7th Brigade Park (Kidspace)
- Continuing pavement works on the western side of the road, including the new carpark in Marchant Park
- Continuing the upgrade to Murphy Road and Kittyhawk Drive intersection
Ellison Road east, between Murphy Road and Danette Street (including the new access road)
- Continuing installation of the public utility services and drainage
- Continuing construction of the new footpath and kerb
- Turning Navarre Street into a cul-de-sac
- Continuing property reinstatement works
Ellison Road west, between Gambia Street and Murphy Road
- Continuing installation of the public utility services and drainage
- Completing construction of the new water detention basin in Marchant Park
- Continuing with landscaping works
- Continuing construction of the new footpath, kerb and bus bay
- Completing pavement works on the southern side of Ellison Road
The Murphy Road and Ellison Road roundabout has been reduced in size, and the road lanes narrowed in width in all directions leading into and out of the roundabout.
Trucks are required to use both lanes at the roundabout.
Over the weekends of 20-23 September and 27-30 September, works to remove the existing road pavement at the Murphy Road and Ellison Road roundabout and replace it with new pavement will be carried out. Final asphalting works will be undertaken at a later date.
The pavement reconstruction works will be undertaken in two sections. Works will commence on the western side of the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection, with the roundabout again being turned into a T-intersection.
During these works, the western leg of Ellison Road will be closed at Murphy Road. Some additional stormwater drainage works will also be carried out in the vicinity of Coolah Street over the first weekend (20-23 September).
Following this, works will progress to the other side of the intersection and the eastern leg of Ellison Road will be closed at Murphy Road.
Murphy Road will be reduced to a single lane in each direction during the day, and one lane under stop-go traffic control at night. There will be no access to the closed section of Ellison Road from Murphy Road.
Traffic controllers will be onsite 24 hours a day to direct traffic through the temporary T-intersection, as well as around the closed sections of Ellison Road and Coolah Street (when in place). Diversion routes will be signed.
At the end of each weekend, Ellison Road will be reopened and the roundabout reinstated.
Temporary changed traffic conditions continue to remain in place on Murphy Road, between the roundabout and Geebong Park, while utility services, retaining wall and property reinstatement works are being undertaken on the eastern side of Murphy Road.
The road shoulder on eastern side of Murphy Road has been closed from the roundabout to just north of Butt Street, and road users travelling along this section of the road have been moved closer to the western side of Murphy Road.
On-street parking will continue to be restricted on both sides of Murphy Road, from the roundabout to just north of Butt Street, while these changed traffic conditions are in place.
Temporary changed traffic conditions are in place on Ellison Road, both east and west of the roundabout, while utility services works, earthworks, footpath works and asphalting works are being carried out on the southern side of Ellison Road.
The road shoulder on the northern side of Ellison Road is being used for through traffic, and on-street parking has been restricted on both sides of Ellison Road, from just west of Gambia Street through to the roundabout, and from the roundabout through to Danette Street.
For your safety and the safety of all other road users and workers, look out for traffic management signage and follow the directions given by traffic controllers onsite.
Butt Street has been temporarily closed between Murphy Road and Fernlea Street until mid-September, weather and site conditions permitting. During this time, alternative vehicle access into and out of Butt Street will be via Copperfield Street.
This closure is allowing for utility services and pavement works to be carried out in Butt Street and on the eastern side of Murphy Road, on the southbound approach to the Butt Street intersection.
Footpath closures and detours
The footpath on the eastern side of Murphy Road has been temporarily closed between Blackwood Road and Geebong Park. Alternative access along Murphy Road is via the western side of Murphy Road, crossing at the temporary refuge island safe crossing point just north of the roundabout.
While Butt Street is temporarily closed, alternative access between Murphy Road and Fernlea Street will be via the existing Zillman Waterholes shared bikeway/footpath through Geebong Park, which links Murphy Road to the northern end of Fernlea Street.
The footpath on the southern side of Ellison Road, from the pathway just east of Navarre Street through to Danette Street has been temporarily closed. Alternative access is via the footpath on the northern side of Ellison Road, crossing at the existing refuge island safe crossing point near Piccadilly Street.
The existing pedestrian pathway from Larissa Street/Sunbury Street through to Ellison Road remains open, providing access to the roundabout. However, this pathway will be temporarily closed on short occasions as works on Ellison Road progress past the pathway.
On Ellison Road west of the roundabout, the existing refuge island safe crossing point near Coolah Street has been temporarily relocated west of Gambia Street, near the top of the hill, for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists while the changed traffic conditions are in place.
Bus stop relocations
Due to the temporary footpath closure on the eastern side of Murphy Road, the existing inbound Murphy Road at Butt Street Geebung bus stop has been relocated north of Butt Street, near Geebong Park.
In addition, outbound bus stop 41 has now been permanently relocated to the new indented bus bay on Murphy Road, just north of the roundabout. Inbound bus stop 41 has been permanently relocated to the new indented bus bay on Murphy Road just south of the roundabout.
Extended weekend works
A program of extended weekend works (undertaken 24 hours a day from Friday night through to Monday morning) is being periodically implemented over the next few months to help compress the construction program and reduce the overall extent of night works required for the project.
Works being carried out over these weekends generally involve significant traffic changes to facilitate the installation of new services within the road, or construction of the new road surface, which could otherwise only be carried out at night.
The next round of extended weekend works will be carried out over the following weekends, weather and site conditions permitting:
- Friday 20 September to Monday 23 September
- Friday 27 September to Monday 30 September.
A contingency weekend has also been scheduled for Friday 11 October to Monday 14 October. Works will only proceed on this weekend if they cannot be completed over the two weekends prior.
The construction activities being undertaken over these weekends will focus on removing the existing road pavement at the intersection of Murphy Road and Ellison Road and replacing it with new pavement. Final asphalting works will be carried out at a later date.
During these works, residents in close proximity to the area may experience:
- increased lighting and noise from construction plant and equipment
- increased truck movements, along with low levels of vibration and odour
- flashing lights and beepers from construction plant and equipment.
Due to workplace health and safety requirements, flashing lights and reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
Significant changed traffic conditions will be in place at the Murphy Road and Ellison Road roundabout over these weekends.
Throughout the project, residents and businesses in close proximity to the works may experience construction noise, increased truck movements and low levels of vibration and dust. The project team works closely with the contractor to minimise construction impacts on the local community and is happy to answer any questions you may have.
Night works are currently being undertaken between 7pm and 5am, Sunday to Thursday, when traffic volumes are lowest. Where possible, noisier works (such as saw cutting of the road) will occur during the day, or prior to 11pm. However, residents may still experience increased lighting and noise after 11pm from plant and machinery operating throughout the night/morning. Night works will also be carried out on Friday and Saturday nights when extended weekend works are planned.
A 40km speed limit also remains in place throughout the project. Where required, traffic controllers are onsite to assist road users.
Please watch for warning signs and always follow the instructions of traffic controllers.
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - business case (PDF - 33Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix A (PDF - 37Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix B (PDF - 10Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix C (PDF - 132Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - key findings report (PDF - 429kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - key findings report (Word - 219kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - project plan (PDF - 4Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - project plan (Word - 2.1Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - artist impression (PDF - 615kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - artist impression (Word - 1.3Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - newsletter (PDF - 372kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - newsletter (Word - 548kb).
Once complete, community benefits include:
- enhanced safety for all road users by signalising the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection
- improved travel time reliability
- reduced queue lengths along Murphy Road
- signalised pedestrian crossing along Murphy Road
- on-street cycle lanes on both sides of Murphy and Ellison Roads
- off-street parking to offset the loss of informal parking along the Murphy Road verge
- indented bus bays to maintain traffic flows adjacent to the Murphy and Ellison Roads intersection
- improved connectivity and safety for pedestrian accessibility to public and active transport options and local parklands areas.
For more information about the Murphy and Ellison Roads intersection upgrade, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 870 437 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside business hours
- email the project team
- complete the online contact form
- write to:
Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.