Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - Morningside and Norman Park
The Wynnum Road corridor is an important route in Brisbane’s road network. The corridor provides access between suburban and commercial catchments in Brisbane's eastern suburbs, the Central Business District and beyond.
Council is delivering the upgrade to the Wynnum Road corridor in stages. Stage 1b of the corridor upgrade will complement the works undertaken as part of Stage 1. Council is implementing interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along Wynnum Road, between Canning Bridge and Riding Road.
Stage 1 of the upgrade is from Latrobe Street to Canning Bridge and will see this section of Lytton Road widened to six lanes.
Council will consider further upgrades between Canning Bridge and Riding Road as planning along the Wynnum Road corridor progresses. However, the scope and timing of any future stages has yet to be confirmed.
Wynnum Road corridor upgrade Stage 1b fly-through video
Watch the fly-through video to learn more about this stage of the project.
|Address||Wynnum Road – Canning Bridge to Riding Road (including Balmoral Street), Morningside/Norman Park|
|Project outcome||This upgrade will provide interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along the corridor between Canning Bridge and Riding Road.|
Construction activities commenced in early 2018, starting in the Stage 1 area, and both stages are expected to be completed by early 2020.You can read the latest project update by downloading the most recent community newsletter for Stage 1 and 1b.
The Wynnum Road corridor upgrade – Stage 1b involves:
- upgrading the Norman Avenue intersection, including a U-turn for eastbound traffic to travel westbound
- removing unsafe right-turn movements across Wynnum Road at Gillan Street, Norman Crescent and Overend Street
- rationalising bus stops to reduce impacts on traffic flow
- indenting the outbound bus stop at Norman Avenue
- extending the existing bus jump lane (7-9am, Monday to Friday) from Bennetts Road to Hipwood Street
- improving the existing U-turn facility on Wynnum Road near Kingsbury Street.
- provide interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along the corridor
- support access to surrounding residential areas
- improve bus travel times and service reliability
- ensure an efficient bus network and reduce impacts on traffic flow.
Works through to July 2019
Through to the end of July 2019, you can expect to see the following works being carried out throughout the Stage 1b project site, weather and site conditions permitting:
- Temporary road closures
Local side streets will be closed temporarily to allow construction of new pavements. These closures include:
- temporary closure of the right-hand turn from Bennetts Road to Wynnum Road (towards Riding Road) from early May to December 2019 to reduce the need for noisy night works. Additional information has been distributed to the residents around Stage 1b. Access will be maintained to all properties
- temporary closure of Hipwood Street at Wynnum Road for approximately two weeks for sewer works.
- Temporary lane closures
- Temporary closure of the bus lane across Hipwood Street to allow for sewer and kerb works to be carried out and the construction of new pavement in this area.
- Closure of Lytton Road outbound lane near Norman Avenue between 5am-2pm from Monday to Friday (ongoing from May to December 2019).
- Temporary footpath closures
- Temporary footpath restrictions during construction works at the Wynnum Road intersection opposite Norman Avenue.
- Minor pedestrian detours at the Bennetts Road intersection of Wynnum Road. All cycle and pedestrian access will be maintained.
- Bus stop changes
Permanent closure of bus stop 21a inbound between Bennetts Road and Hipwood Street.
- Street parking changes
Street parking restrictions on Wynnum Road between Riding Road and Hawthorne Road. Restrictions will be in placed during construction and parking will be restricted along the inbound bus jump lane between 7-9am weekdays once the project is completed.
Traffic signage and onsite traffic controllers will direct road and footpath users through the construction areas (as required). Road users should plan ahead by investigating alternative routes, or allow additional time for travelling through the area.
Bennetts Road right-hand turn closure
A temporary full-time closure of the right-hand turn from Bennetts Road onto Wynnum Road will be in place from late April 2019.
This is to reduce the amount of extended nightworks required between Hipwood Street to Bennetts Road. This closure will allow Council to complete reconstruction of the intersection.
The left-hand turn from Bennetts Road to Wynnum Road will remain open to traffic. The left-hand turn from Wynnum Road to Bennetts road will also remain open.
A signed detour will be provided and residents and road users will be advised in advance to plan alternative routes.
You can download the following documents:
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - project plan (PDF - 2.7Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - project plan (Word - 1.7Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - key findings from the business case, June 2017 (PDF - 1.8Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - key findings from the business case, June 2017 (Word - 598Mb)
- Business case - Wynnum Road corridor upgrade, Stage 1b interim measures, Canning Bridge to Riding Road (PDF - 12.3Mb).
For more information about this project:
- phone the project team on 1800 572 132 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- visit the project’s Community Information Centre at:
89 Lytton Road
East Brisbane (access via Heidelberg Street)
This centre is open every Tuesday from 10am-12 noon and Wednesday from 2-4pm, or
other times by appointment
- write to:
Wynnum Road corridor upgrade - Stage 1b
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.