Widdop Street upgrade - Nundah
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the intersection of Widdop Street and the Toombul Shopping Centre access road at Nundah to improve safety in the area for all road users. The upgrade will improve traffic efficiency and cater for existing and future demand through the intersection.
|Address||Widdop Street, Nundah|
|Project outcomes||Increase road safety for all users, improved traffic efficiency and cater for existing and future demands through the intersection.|
Start of construction - May 2019
About the project
A variety of road users including cyclists, pedestrians, motorists and heavy vehicles currently move through the busy Widdop Street and Toombul Shopping Centre access road intersection. Increasing traffic volumes will make access for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians through this intersection difficult and unsafe.
Signalising the intersection will make it safer for all road users, including pedestrians and cyclists crossing Widdop Street travelling on the Kedron Brook Bikeway.
This upgrade is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects, to take real action on congestion by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
Works will involve:
- installing traffic signals at the intersection of Widdop Street and the Toombul Shopping Centre access road, including a controlled crossing for pedestrians and cyclists
- constructing an additional northbound lane on Widdop Street to improve traffic flow
- widening the bridge over Schulz Canal
- banning right turns out of Walkers Way to improve safety
- minor relocation of the northbound bus stop
- resurfacing, new kerb and channel, line marking and landscaping.
Download the project plan:
- Widdop Street upgrade - project plan (PDF - 777Kb)
- Widdop Street upgrade - project plan (Word - 961Kb)
The majority of works will be undertaken between 7am to 5pm, Monday to Saturday. However, some out-of-hours works may be required when traffic volumes are lowest to ensure the safety of all road users and workers. These out-of-hours works will be undertaken intermittently between 7pm and 5am, Sunday to Thursday.
During construction, local businesses and nearby residents can expect some construction noise, dust, low levels of vibration and increased truck movements. Motorists may experience changed traffic conditions during construction. At times, temporary lane closures and reduced speed limits may be required on Widdop Street for the safety of motorists, pedestrians, cyclists and workers.
Council is committed to minimising the impact of the works on the community as much as possible.
We would like to thank local residents for their patience and understanding during these important works.
For more information about the Widdop Street upgrade, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during working hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of working hours)
- email the project team
- write to
Widdop Street upgrade
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001