Brisbane International Cruise Terminal roads upgrade - Pinkenba
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce construction for the Brisbane International Cruise Terminal roads upgrade in Pinkeba will start from mid-July 2019, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Council is planning to upgrade several existing roads between Main Myrtletown Road and Marine Road, Pinkenba to improve safety and accessibility for road users leading to the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal at Luggage Point.
|Address||Bancroft Road to Marine Road, Pinkenba|
|Project outcomes||Improving safety, accessibility and traffic efficiency|
Start of construction from mid-July 2019
About the project
As the main access route to the new terminal, Pinkenba and Luggage Point, the upgrade will support local growth and tourism in Brisbane by improving the connection for local residents, businesses and visitors to the city via Main Myrtletown Road and Kingsford Smith Drive.
Council is jointly funding this upgrade to the local traffic network with Port of Brisbane Pty Ltd, to meet future traffic movements as part of the future development of Pinkenba and the new cruise ship terminal.
The upgrade will include widening the roadway at existing narrow sections to improve safety, and raising the level of some sections of the road to improve flood resilience.
The introduction of the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal to the area and the increase in development in Pinkenba will result in increased traffic. Council is proactively upgrading the road infrastructure to meet this expected future traffic growth.
The project involves:
- widening narrow sections of the roads to improve safety
- raising the road level in sections to meet current overall road network flood resilience
- relocating utility services
- road resurfacing works.
The project will:
- meet future traffic requirements for Pinkenba and the Brisbane International Cruise Terminal at Luggage Point
- improve safety and access for road users
- improve the overall flood resilience of the route.
Construction works are planned to start in mid-July 2019 and should be completed by 2020, weather and construction conditions permitting.
The majority of construction will be conducted from 7am to 5pm Monday to Saturday. In the event that works are required at night, advance notification will be provided to properties within the works area.
During construction, residents and businesses near the site may experience construction noise, dust, vibration and construction vehicle movements with reversing beepers and flashing lights. Due to workplace health and safety requirements, reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
The speed limit through the construction areas will be reduced to 40 km/hr for the duration of the works. Temporary lane closures will be required to facilitate the works, with temporary traffic signals and traffic control in place to direct road users and pedestrians through the worksite to ensure community safety.
Sections for upgrade
The sections of roads for current upgrades include:
- Main Beach Road between Lewandowski Drive to Marine Road
- Bancroft Road and Brownlee Street bend
- Main Beach Road intersection to formed section of Marine Road
- Unformed section of Marine Road to Port of Brisbane entrance
- Brownlee Street and Main Beach Road bend.
Council is committed to keeping local residents and businesses informed of the project as design and construction progresses.
Download the project documents in your preferred format:
- Brisbane International Cruise Terminal roads upgrade - newsletter (PDF - 10.3Mb)
- Brisbane International Cruise Terminal roads upgrade - newsletter (Word - 1.8Mb)
- Brisbane International Cruise Terminal roads upgrade detailed design plan (PDF - 1.4Mb)
- Brisbane International Cruise Terminal roads upgrade detailed design plan (Word - 1.5Mb).
If you have any questions, or would like more information about the Brisbane International Cruise Terminal roads upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 010 705 during business hours
- phone Council on 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Brisbane International Cruise Terminal roads upgrade project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.