Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road intersection upgrade - Tingalpa
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise construction of the Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road intersection upgrade at Tingalpa is now complete.
|Address||Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road, Tingalpa|
|Project outcomes||Improved road safety|
End of construction
View the project newsletter:
About the project
This project was part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
The upgrade has improved traffic efficiency and safety and will cater for existing and future traffic demands at this intersection. The works involved installing traffic signals at the intersection of Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road to provide improved access for vehicles entering and leaving Murarrie Road. The project also provided a new lane arrangement on Murarrie Road, including a left-turn slip lane and a dedicated right-turn lane into Wynnum Road.
The project involved:
- installing traffic signals at the intersection of Murarrie Road and Wynnum Road
- widening Murarrie Road to allow a left-turn slip lane and a dedicated right-turn lane to exit onto Wynnum Road
- extending the existing right-turn pocket on Wynnum Road into Murarrie Road
- providing a signalised pedestrian crossing across Murarrie Road and across Wynnum Road on the western side of the intersection
- improving safety of the existing cycle lanes on Wynnum Road by restricting parking at all times through the intersection
- upgrading kerb and channel, medians, intersection lighting and line marking.
The project has improved access and safety for vehicles turning in and out of Murarrie Road. This improved access will also reduce the incentive for vehicles to divert along local neighbourhood streets and will increase safety for all road users.
Project benefits include:
- improved access to and from Murarrie Road with signalised right turns
- controlled movements of motorists increasing safety for all road users
- providing signilised pedestrian crossing on Wynnum Road improving access to bus stops and connectivity to the Graystone industrial park and Minnippi Parkland
- improved access at the intersection will also minimise route diversions, meaning less through traffic using local streets.
During the construction period, Council identified an opportunity to widen the bike-lane located on Wynnum Road to 1.8 metres-wide, improving road safety for all road users.
In order to upgrade the intersection, Council identified eight small-to-medium sized street trees that needed to be removed as part of the project. All work was carried out in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines and Council made every effort to minimise environmental impacts during construction. Vegetation impacts will be offset by replanting 16 trees in the local area in accordance in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements.
Some on-street parking restrictions were implemented on Wynnum Road through the intersection to allow for the traffic signals and extended right turn pocket. Additionally, on Murarrie Road between Wynnum Road and Verdun Street there are parking restrictions to safely allow the proposed changes to the lanes on Murarrie Road.
Construction began in August 2018 and was completed in late March 2019. Council would like to thank local residents, businesses and road users for their patience and understanding while these important works were undertaken.
If you would like to provide feedback, ask questions, or find out more about the Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road intersection upgrade, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 290 832 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road intersection upgrade project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.