Bellbowrie green bridge
Following community feedback, Brisbane City Council will not be progressing the proposed Bellbowrie green bridge.
The proposed green bridge would have connected Bellbowrie and Moggill residents to walking and cycling options and public transport services on the eastern side of the river, including rail services at Wacol and Darra. The bridge also presented an opportunity to improve emergency access for Moggill and Bellbowrie during major flood events.
Initial consultation on the project was undertaken in late 2019 as part of the Green Bridges Program's early planning phase. Council completed a detailed analysis of all feedback received and prepared an Initial Consultation Outcomes report.
Key feedback received on this bridge during the initial consultation included:
- most people prefer a bridge that caters for all modes of transport, including general vehicles, with approximately 20% of survey respondents indicating they would use this green bridge daily or weekly
- many people suggested the bridge alignment should extend from Birkin Road or Booker Place Park at Bellbowrie, to Sumners Road at Riverhills
- many people believe the proposed alignment was not a useful connection for walkers and cyclists, with approximately 28% of people supporting this alignment.
Following this initial mixed feedback, further targeted consultation on the Bellbowrie green bridge was undertaken in May and June 2020 with the communities in the Pullenvale and Jamboree Wards.
Key feedback received during this targeted consultation period included:
- of the 1301 respondents from the Pullenvale Ward community, approximately 80% were opposed to the proposed green bridge
- of the 871 respondents from the Jamboree Ward community, 51% were opposed to a green bridge and 55% indicated they would never use the proposed green bridge.
Council is committed to investigating other locations for a fifth green bridge as part of the Green Bridges Program and will make more information available as planning progresses. Keep up to date with future consultation opportunities by registering to receive email updates.