Major construction activities, including piling and drilling for the new bridge foundations, will recommence in the Brisbane River from early June 2022, weather and site conditions permitting.
To facilitate marine-based construction activities, a small section of the City Botanic Gardens Riverwalk will be closed between the Stamford Plaza jetty and the City Botanic Garden River Hub for up to four weeks from early June 2022.
This temporary closure of the riverwalk will enable the safe construction of a bridge pier, which requires materials and equipment to be lifted over the pathway.
What to expect during the temporary closure of the riverwalk
- pedestrian, cyclist and scooter rider detours along the City Reach Boardwalk and City Botanic Gardens Riverwalk.
- signage and traffic controllers to assist boardwalk and riverwalk users.
Further temporary closures of the City Botanic Gardens Riverwalk will be required later in 2022 to facilitate construction of the bridge. Further information will be provided in advance of these closures.
A construction area will be re-established in the Brisbane River to facilitate marine-based construction activities, including piling. The construction zone will be clearly marked with buoys and signage, and the speed limit in this section of the river has been lowered to six knots during construction for safety reasons.
What to expect during piling
- increased noise as piles are driven into the riverbed and noise associated with the use of equipment such as excavators, cranes, and drill rigs
- low levels of vibration
- the use of barges on the river
- an increase in workers and construction vehicles.
You can view the map for alternative walking and riding routes during the closure of the City Botanic Gardens Riverwalk below. Please note, diversions will also be required along the City Reach Boardwalk.
- Kangaroo Point Green Bridge – City Botanic Gardens Riverwalk temporary closure diversions map (Word - 9Mb)
Works will generally be undertaken from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm Saturdays.
Some out-of-hours works will be required due to tide levels on the Brisbane River and ambient temperature requirements for concrete pours. Advance notice will be provided for planned out-of-hours works.
Working with the community
Connect Brisbane is committed to minimising impacts on residents and businesses during construction of the Kangaroo Point Green Bridge project.
We will minimise work impacts by:
- appointing traffic controllers and installing signage to help cyclists and pedestrians navigate around the works area
- monitoring construction activities to ensure the noise and vibration produced is at reasonable and practical levels.
For more information about these works, contact Connect Brisbane by:
- calling 1800 864 221 (during business hours), or
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.