Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Geebung
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce construction is now complete for the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade at Geebung.
The project was part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting people home quicker and safer.
Watch the fly-through video to learn more about the project.
Read the supporting fly-through video information
Read the supporting fly-through video information
The fly-through video shows a three-dimensional animated model of the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade project after the upgrade has been completed.
The fly-through begins in the north and moves south along Murphy Road to Gympie Road. It shows the new signalised intersection at Butt Street and Murphy Road with a right turn pocket into Butt Street. Murphy Road has been widened to four lanes with an additional southbound lane from Blackwood Road to Ellison Road intersection.
The fly-through shows the new signalised intersection at Murphy Road and Ellison Road. A new road between Larissa Street and Navarre Street replaces the old access road into Navarre Street and Ellison Road. New right turn pockets on Ellison Road to access Coolah Street and Gambia Street. Ellison Road has been widened to four lanes on approach to the Murphy Road intersection.
New indented bus bays have been added, with the bus stops relocated to the departure side of the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection. A new signalised pedestrian crossing will provide safe access between 7th Brigade Park and Marchant Park. Two new off-road parking areas, with a total of 80 parking bays, have been added - one in Marchant Park and one in 7th Brigade Park.
The left turn pocket on Murphy Road into Kittyhawk Drive has been extended. A new U-turn facility has been added on Murphy Road at the Kittyhawk intersection. A new northbound dedicated right turn pocket has been added on Murphy Road. The left turn lane on Murphy Road into Gympie Road has been extended.
|Address||Murphy Road and Ellison Road, Geebung|
Completed in early April 2020.
About the project
Works on the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade started in December 2018 and were completed early April 2020.
- signalising the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection including widening to two lanes in each direction and providing a three-lane southbound approach on Murphy Road
- widening Murphy Road to four lanes between Gympie Road to north of Butt Street
- widening Ellison Road to four lanes between Danette Street and Gambia Street
- upgrading the Kittyhawk Drive and Murphy Road intersection to include additional through lanes in each direction, a right-turn pocket into Kittyhawk Drive and a U-turn facility for southbound traffic
- signalising the Butt Street and Murphy Road intersection to include a pedestrian crossing, a right-turn pocket into Butt Street, and a new mini roundabout at the intersection of Butt Street and Fernlea Street to enhance traffic movements for residents
- providing new off-road car parking in Marchant Park and 7th Brigade Park
- incorporating on-road cycle lanes in both directions on Murphy Road and Ellison Road
- converting Marathon Street and Blackwood Road to left-in, left-out access only to improve safety
- providing right-turn pockets on Ellison Road for westbound traffic into Coolah Street and Gambia Street
- constructing a new access road to Navarre Street
- providing indented bus stops adjacent to the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection
- landscaping and line marking.
Two new off-road parking areas located in Marchant Park and 7th Brigade Park were also included as part of the intersection upgrade, providing safer and more convenient facilities for people accessing the area. Meanwhile, bus stop #41 (north and southbound) was relocated to the departure side of the intersection, with both bus bays indented, allowing buses to pull off the road to improve traffic flow efficiency.
Community benefits include:
- enhanced safety for all road users by signalising the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection
- improved travel time reliability
- reduced queue lengths along Murphy Road
- signalised pedestrian crossing along Murphy Road
- on-street cycle lanes on both sides of Murphy and Ellison Roads
- off-street parking to offset the loss of informal parking along the Murphy Road verge
- indented bus bays to maintain traffic flows adjacent to the Murphy and Ellison Roads intersection
- improved connectivity and safety for pedestrian access to public and active transport options and local parklands areas.
For more information about the Murphy and Ellison Roads intersection upgrade, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 870 437 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside business hours
- email the project team
- complete the online contact form
- write to:
Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.