Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road black spot project – Wavell Heights
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce that the upgrade to the Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road intersection in Wavell Heights, as part of the Australian Government’s 2022-23 Black Spot Program, is now complete.
|Address||Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road, Wavell Heights|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety for all road users|
About the project
The Australian Government’s Black Spot Program is part of the National Road Safety Strategy, which aims to improve road safety and reduce the risk of crashes, by implementing upgrade measures at each black spot location.
Between 2015 and 2021, there were nine reported crashes at the Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road intersection, all of which resulted in medical treatment or hospitalisation. These accidents can be attributed to motorists misjudging safe gaps in the traffic due to high traffic volumes, extended wait times and poor sightlines for vehicles travelling on Hamilton Road.
This black spot project has delivered safety improvements at the intersection for all road users by upgrading the turn arrows on the signal lanterns and providing dedicated right turn pockets on Hamilton Road. Vehicles turning right into Bilsen Road will now be able to safely wait for the green arrow while through traffic continues on Hamilton Road unimpeded. These works have enhanced the flow of traffic and improved safety for people walking, riding and driving through the intersection.
This project was fully funded by the Australian Government as part of the 2022 – 2023 Black Spot Program.
- Improved road safety for all road users by controlling the right-turn movement and enhanced pedestrian protection.
- Improved traffic flow on Hamilton Road by adjusting the signal phasing to extend the green time for through traffic.
- Improved intersection operation by providing a right-turn pocket on Hamilton Road to separate the through and turning vehicles.
The project involved:
- Providing dedicated right-turn pockets on Hamilton Road approaching the intersection.
- Upgrading the signal lantern turn arrows on Hamilton Road.
- Adjusting the signal phasing to include turning arrows to control the right-turns movement.
- Relocating two bus stops on Hamilton Road to improve the safety of through traffic.
- Installing a new stormwater network to improve surface drainage.
- Upgrading street lighting throughout the intersection.
- New road pavement, signage and line marking.
- Project introduction - August 2022
- Start of construction – November 2022
- End of construction – March 2023
Bus stop relocation
As part of the project, the Hamilton Road at Wavell Heights North stops have been relocated to improve safety and traffic flow at the intersection. The eastbound stop is now located 110m east and the westbound stop is located 85m west of the intersection.
School service bus stop
Due to the relocation of the eastbound Hamilton Road at Wavell Heights North stop, a school service bus stop is required to maintain these services in the area.
This stop is located outside 87 Bilsen Road, Wavell Heights, and will be operational during the school term from 3pm to 4pm, Monday to Friday. Parking in this area will be permitted at all other times.
- Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road black spot project newsletter (PDF - 1.32Mb)
- Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road black spot project newsletter (Word - 605kb)
- Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road black spot project plan (PDF - 1.56Mb)
- Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road black spot project plan (Word - 1.04Mb)
If you would like to find out more about the Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road black spot project you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside business hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Hamilton Road and Bilsen Road black spot project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.