Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade project - West End
Brisbane City Council has upgraded the Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection at West End to improve safety and access for all road users.
|Address||Montague Road and Victoria Street, West End|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety|
|Latest update||Construction - May 2021|
About the project
The Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection was identified as a location requiring safety improvements, particularly for pedestrian movements across Montague Road due to the large volume of pedestrians in the area.
The intersection caters to a high volume of vehicles, buses, cyclists and pedestrians and provides an important connection to the local shops, businesses and residential areas. The intersection carries approximately 16,000 vehicles, 270 cyclists and 1850 pedestrians each day. The high volume of traffic and turning movements through the intersection make it difficult to find a gap for pedestrians to cross Montague Road.
The intersection recorded a total of five crashes between July 2014 and June 2019, which resulted in one hospitalisation and four requiring medical treatment.
As part of the project, the speed limit on Montague Road was permanently reduced from 60km/h to 50km/h, between Vulture Street and Drake Street, with appropriate signage in place. This aligns with the existing 50km/h zone on Montague Road, from Drake Street to Hill End Terrace.
The Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade project was jointly funded by the Council and the Australian Government as part of the Australian Government's Roads to Recovery program.
The project upgraded the priority-controlled intersection to a signalised intersection with controlled pedestrian crossings.
The Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade works involved:
- installing traffic lights with signal-controlled pedestrian crossings over Montague Road and the western leg of Victoria Street
- installing a new indented bus bay for the inbound CityGlider bus services
- widening the road to install a right-turn lane, southbound on Montague Road, for access into Victoria Street
- installing on-road cycle facilities on Montague Road through the intersection
- lowering the crest on Montague Road through the intersection to improve sight lines
- relocating public utility services
- removal of five informal car parks and one metered car park
- constructing new footpaths and kerb ramps
- tree removal and landscaping.
Download the project plan in your preferred format:
- Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade - newsletter (PDF - 9.7Mb)
- Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade - newsletter (Word - 2.2Mb)
- Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade - project plan (PDF - 767kb)
- Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade - project plan (Word - 1.6Mb).
The table includes the proposed timeline for this project.
|Early 2020||Detailed design|
|Mid-2020 to September 2020||Early works|
|October 2020 to May 2021||Civil construction|
The project will now enter a defects period, in which Council will work with the Contractor to maintain and manage any defects and minor finishing works. New CityGlider bus shelters are expected to be installed within the next six weeks.
If you would more information about this project, you can:
- contact the project team online
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Montague Road and Victoria Street intersection upgrade project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.