Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade - Newstead
Brisbane City Council has upgraded the intersection of Commercial Road and Doggett Street in Newstead to improve overall intersection operation and safety for all road users.
|Address||Commercial Road and Doggett Street, Newstead|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety|
|Latest update||Construction complete late July 2020|
About the project
Council identified the intersection as requiring safety improvements, particularly for pedestrian movements across Commercial Road due to the large volume of pedestrians in the area. In addition, a total of seven crashes were reported at the intersection between April 2013 and June 2019, which resulted in three hospitalisations, three requiring medical treatment and one minor injury.
The project involved installing new traffic lights at the intersection to provide controlled pedestrian crossing facilities and controlled right-turn movements for both west and eastbound traffic on Commercial Road. A right-turn lane has also been introduced on the southern approach of Doggett Street.
As part of the project, Doggett Street between Commercial Road and Longland Street was permanently converted to one-way for northbound traffic. This change will improve safety for all road users travelling on Doggett Street and ease traffic congestion impacts at the Commercial Road intersection.
Additionally, bike boxes were introduced on the Commercial Road approaches of the intersection to facilitate cycle users.
This project is jointly funded by Council and the Australian Government through the Urban Congestion Fund with a contribution of $1.7 million committed from this funding program.
The project involved:
- signalising the intersection and providing controlled pedestrian crossing facilities
- extending the right-turn pocket, west and eastbound, on Commercial Road
- installing a right-turn pocket on the southern approach of Doggett Street
- converting Doggett Street to a one-way street for northbound traffic only, between Commercial Road and Longland Street
- removal of four on-street parking bays on Doggett Street and six on-street parking bays on Commercial Road
- relocation of the loading zone on Commercial Road
- installing bike boxes on Commercial Road at the intersection
- kerb and channel works
- resurfacing and line marking.
Download the project documents in your preferred format:
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade newsletter (PDF - 5.48Mb)
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade newslettter (Word - 1.98Mb)
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade project plan (PDF - 2.69Mb)
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade project plan (Word - 1.4Mb)
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade artist impression (PDF - 1.65Mb)
- Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade artist impression (Word - 1.95Mb).
Australian Federal Police - bollards
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) will replace the existing temporary concrete barriers with permanent bollards on the footpath in front of their building on the corner of Commercial Road and Doggett Street. This project is separate to Council's intersection upgrade.
It is expected the AFP bollard installation project will commence following completion of the intersection upgrade. We kindly ask you to direct any questions for this project to the AFP by email.
Construction - late April 2020 to late July 2020.
If you would like more information about this project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Commercial Road and Doggett Street intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.