Green Camp Road corridor upgrade
Brisbane City Council has announced that the Green Camp Road corridor upgrade at Wakerley is now complete. The upgrade has improved safety for all road users, improved traffic efficiency and reduced congestion.
|Address||Green Camp Road, Wakerley|
|Ward||Doboy and Chandler|
|Project outcomes||Improve safety and traffic efficiency and reduce congestion|
|Latest update||End of construction|
About the project
Works began in mid-May 2018 and were completed in April 2019.
The upgrade was part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take action on congestion. The upgrade focused on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
As part of the project, Council upgraded Green Camp Road between Manly and Rickertt Roads, with joint funding from Council and the Australian Government. The project has improved safety for all road users, reduced traffic congestion and improved travel times.
Features of the upgrade included:
- providing two through lanes in each direction on Green Camp Road from Manly Road to just past the Rickertt Road intersection
- providing three through lanes on the Green Camp Road northbound carriageway adjacent to the Tilley Road intersection
- signalising the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection
- widening the Tilley Road approach to provide one left-turn lane and one right-turn lane
- providing two through lanes on Rickertt Road in each direction for 200 metres from the Green Camp Road intersection
- widening the Rickertt Road approach at the Green Camp Road intersection to provide a separate left-turn lane and two right-turn lanes
- raising the road level and upgrading existing culverts under the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection to improve flood immunity to 1% AEP (1 in 100 year)
- providing on-road cycle lanes and off-road shared paths
- providing fauna crossing facilities, fauna fencing and wildlife awareness zones
- providing improved pedestrian footpath connections
- a new car park 250 metres north of the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection for visitors to Green Camp Road Park
- landscaping treatments.
The project has:
- improved travel times and reliability for motorists and public transport services
- enhanced the ability for Green Camp Road to fulfil its role as an arterial road in the east Brisbane network
- improved safety by signalising the Green Camp and Tilley Roads intersection and improved the layout of the Green Camp and Rickett Roads intersection
- provided fauna crossing facilities, including arboreal crossings and glider poles, fauna fences and wildlife awareness zones
- provided on-road cycle lanes and off-road shared paths along Green Camp Road
- improved flood immunity.
Green Camp Road corridor upgrade fly-through
The fly-through video shows the detailed design features for the Green Camp Road corridor upgrade in Wakerley. Watch the fly-through video to find out about the project.
Alternatively, you can watch the video and other related videos on Council's YouTube channel.
Video supporting information
Video supporting information
The fly-through video shows drone footage with animations to highlight the detailed design features for the Green Camp Road corridor upgrade at Wakerley.
The fly-through shows aerial footage of the road corridor, highlighting the extent of works from Manly Road to Rickertt Road. The aerial view highlights the intersection upgrade at Green Camp Road and Rickertt Road and the new signalised intersection at Green Camp Road and Tilley Road.
The fly-through then starts at Rickertt Road near the Green Camp Road intersection. It shows that Rickertt Road widens to four lanes at the intersection approach to Green Camp Road. Green road pavement markings and wildlife awareness signage will be installed, alerting motorists that they are entering a wildlife awareness zone.
The fly-through then shows the Rickertt Road and Green Camp road intersection. It shows there will be one left and two right-turn lanes from Rickertt Road into Green Camp Road. Also visible is a dedicated, free flowing left-turn slip lane on Green Camp Road into Rickertt Road. It shows that Green Camp Road widens to four lanes in each direction. It also shows shared pedestrian/cycle path connections as well as on-road cycle lanes.
The fly-through shows fauna exclusion fencing to direct fauna to new dedicated underpasses or arboreal fauna crossings (rope crossings). The fly-through then continues north on Green Camp Road to show that the northbound carriageway widens to three lanes at the Tilley Road intersection. A glider pole crossing can be seen, and an overhead rope bridge for fauna crossings.
The fly-through then shows how the road alignment will be improved at the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection, with new traffic signals installed and a dedicated right-turn lane from Green Camp Road into Tilley Road. Wildlife awareness signage can be seen on Tilley Road, as well as under road fauna crossings and upgraded drainage culverts for improved flood immunity. The fly-through also shows a dedicated right-turn lane and left-turn slip lane from Tilley Road into Green Camp Road.
The fly-through then continues north on Green Camp Road to show further improved road alignment and more wildlife awareness signage on Green Camp Road. The fly-through shows that the northbound carriageway merges back to two lanes. It also shows access and parking for Green Camp Road Park. The extent of the upgrade will tie in with the existing four lanes on Green Camp Road, leading up to the Manly Road intersection.
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - key findings from the business case - March 2018 (PDF - 1.11Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - key findings from the business case - March 2018 (Word - 2.21Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Business case - full document (PDF - 1.4Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Appendix A (PDF - 16.2Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Appendix B (PDF - 8.8Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - project plan (PDF - 1.8Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - project plan (Word - 1.6Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Tilley Road closure detour map (PDF - 18.8Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Tilley Road closure detour map (Word - 812Kb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - newsletter - August 2018 (PDF - 2.3Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - newsletter - August 2018 (Word - 267kb).
For more information about the Green Camp Road corridor upgrade, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 290 832 during working hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of working hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Green Camp Road corridor upgrade project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.