General parking rules
Brisbane City Council has general rules for parking within Brisbane. The parking rules include parking in the Central Business District (CBD) or in a residential street. Parking rules ensure all roads and footpaths are used safely by other motorists and pedestrians.
Ensure you don't park:
- on footpaths or footpath ramps
- across or partly blocking driveways or footpaths
- in any area or space designated as emergency, essential services or disability parking (permitted vehicles are accepted).
Unless otherwise signed, the following rules apply at intersections and bus stops:
- park at least 10 metres from an intersection without traffic lights
- if there are traffic lights, park at least 20 metres away from the intersection
- park at least 20 metres behind a bus stop, or at least 10 metres in front.
Report illegal parking
Phone Council on 07 3403 8888:
- to report an illegal or dangerously parked vehicle
- if you think your vehicle has been towed.
Traffic and parking control areas
There are a number of Traffic and Parking Control Areas in place where area-wide time limits apply. To stay longer than the area-wide time limit, metered parking zones and off-street carparks may allow you to park longer.
For further information on Queensland's road rules, visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads website.
- parking restrictions and permit areas
- paid parking
- park 'n' ride
- special use parking
- parking around schools
- enforcement and a detailed map of parking areas in Brisbane.