Your safety is important to Council. To ensure your bus journey is as safe and comfortable as possible, follow these simple safety tips.
Before you travel
Before you travel, ensure you:
- have your TransLink go card or money ready before your bus arrives
- hail the driver.
Hail the driver
Don’t forget to hail the driver if you are waiting at a bus stop. This signal, used across Brisbane and universally for years, lets the bus driver know that you wish to board their bus. Hailing the bus early gives the driver time to stop safely and provides a comfortable journey for everyone.
Boarding your bus
Before you board your bus:
- give way to exiting passengers before you hop on
- use the MyTransLink app or ask the driver if you are unsure about your bus route or destination
- ask your driver to activate the ramp if required
- keep one hand free to hold the handrail.
Council's low floor buses allow for a level access through the front door, instead of stairs, for ease of boarding
Travelling on the bus
While travelling on the bus:
- keep the aisle free by storing large items in the luggage rack at the front of the bus
- avoid changing seats while the bus is in motion
- use the grab handles or hand rails for support if there are no seats available
- keep your grip and enjoy your trip.
Approaching your destination
As you approach your destination:
- press the stop button at least 100 metres before your stop, to allow the bus driver to stop smoothly and safely
- ask another passenger to assist you if you cannot reach a stop button
- stay seated until the bus has come to a complete stop
- use the grab handles or hand rails for support as you make your way off the bus.
By following these simple safety tips you are helping to make travelling by bus a more enjoyable experience for all.
Find out how to evacuate a Transport for Brisbane bus in the unlikely event that your bus operator is unable to provide instructions to you and other passengers during an evacuation.