Bretts Wharf ferry terminal upgrade
Brisbane City Council is undertaking a $650 million upgrade to Kingsford Smith Drive to reduce traffic congestion and improve safety on this busy road. To make way for this important upgrade, the new Bretts Wharf Ferry Terminal is located downstream, near the former Bretts Wharf Restaurant site, opposite Racecourse Road.
|Address||Kingsford Smith Drive, Hamilton|
|Project outcome||The Bretts Wharf ferry terminal upgrade has increased capacity and improved efficiency, improved flood-resilience, increased the amount of shelter and provides better access for people with mobility impairments.|
CityCat services commenced at the new Bretts Wharf ferry terminal, Kingsford Smith Drive on 13 June 2015.
CityCats no longer service the previous terminal, located 200 metres upstream.
For timetable information or to plan your journey visit translink.com.au or phone TransLink on 13 12 30.
About the project
The upgrade involved:
- replacing the existing aging structure to allow Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade work to proceed
- providing a new location further downstream opposite Racecourse Road
- improving the efficiency of the terminal with the installation of a new dual-berth pontoon and a new waiting area
- improving accessibility for people with mobility impairments
- significantly improving the terminal’s flood resilience
- providing additional seating and shelter
- providing a new access path connecting to Kingsford Smith Drive
Access and inclusion
The new terminal provides safe, equitable and dignified access and circulation for all travellers as well as additional seating and rest-zones.
Tactile signage including tactile ground surface indicators help to provide safe wayfinding for persons with a disability. The improved lighting meets current standards.
If you would like to provide comments, ask questions or find out more about the Bretts Wharf ferry terminal upgrade project, you can:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team
- write to:
Transport Planning and Programs team
Transport Planning and Strategy
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001