2018 Active School Travel program
Applications are now open for the Active School Travel (AST) 2018 program. Encourage your students to actively travel to school and help create safer streets and reduced traffic congestion at the school gate.
To be eligible, your school must be able to:
- establish an Active School Travel committee
- conduct weekly classroom surveys
- email collated statistics to Brisbane City Council
- implement a weekly active travel day
- oversee a whole-of-school promotion of the Active School Travel Program.
How to apply
Principals of Brisbane primary schools have until Friday 15 September 2017 to nominate their school.
Apply online. Places are limited.
Why you should get involved
Active School Travel provides an extensive range of free resources and incursions to a limited number of Brisbane primary schools. If your school is successful in applying to be part of the AST program, your Active School Travel Officer will tailor a package to suit your school.
Your school will receive:
- a dedicated AST officer working closely with your school and committee
- data and statistics to showcase your achievements
- weekly active travel day
- active travel maps customised for your school, with identified Park and Stride routes
- an AST passport for every student
- AST rewards and incentives for students, such as stationery and sports gear
- the opportunity to apply for funding to support AST activities through the Lord Mayor’s Suburban Initiative Fund.
Plus, you can also choose from any or all of these:
- four assembly performances for the whole school
- road safety education session for the whole school
- 90 minute bike skills training session
- 60 minute scooter skills training session
- bus orientation session
- “Tips and tricks” resource kit to maintain momentum.