North Brisbane Bikeway - Chermside to Aspley project - Chermside
The North Brisbane Bikeway - Chermside to Aspley project was part of Brisbane City Council's Better Bikeways for Brisbane program, creating dedicated bikeways and active travel options with a $100 million investment.
|Address||Gympie Road, between Webster Road, Aspley and Murphy Road, Chermside|
|Project outcomes||To create a high quality, connected and accessible recreation and commuter route that improves access to the local network and amenities.|
Construction completed September 2017.
About the project
Construction of the North Brisbane Bikeway - Chermside to Aspley project is now complete.
The project has completed an important link in the North Brisbane Bikeway and contributes to providing a high quality, connected and accessible commuter route for people travelling between Brisbane's northern suburbs and the Central Business District (CBD).
The new pathway also improves safety and connectivity for cyclists and pedestrians accessing local parks, sporting facilities, shopping centres, businesses and public transport along Gympie Road.
The project involved:
- constructing an 875-metre-long, three-metre-wide shared pathway along Gympie Road providing a safe and accessible connection from Webster Road, Aspley to Murphy Road, Chermside
- constructing a 15-metre-long path, taking the new pathway over the drainage line in Marchant Park
- creating linkages off the main shared pathway to provide accessible connections to bus stops at two locations on Gympie Road
- relocating existing fences at three places in Marchant Park, to accommodate the new pathway
- installing overhead LED bikeway lighting
- relocation of 12 trees (nine fig trees and three hoop pines) to accommodate the new pathway.
Native trees and shrubs were planted to offset the impact of tree removal in Marchant Park.
This project has:
- improved safety and connectivity for cyclists and pedestrians accessing Marchant Park, the North Brisbane Bikeway and local amenities such as recreational parks, sporting facilities, shopping centres, local businesses and public transport
- provided a safe off-road link between existing shared pathways in the local area
- encouraged commuter recreational walking or cycling
- enhanced lifestyle and leisure opportunities for park users and residents in the area.
If you would like to provide comments or feedback, ask questions, or find out more about the North Brisbane Bikeway - Chermside to Aspley project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 010 705 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
North Brisbane Bikeway - Chermside to Aspley project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.