Beckett Road and Hamilton Road intersection upgrade - McDowall
Brisbane City Council has completed works to upgrade the Beckett Road and Hamilton Road intersection at McDowall.
The project is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
|Address||Beckett Road and Hamilton Road intersection, McDowall|
|Project outcomes||Increase capacity, reduce congestion and improve safety for road users.|
View the project plan:
|Latest update||End of construction|
About the project
Brisbane City Council upgraded the intersection at Beckett Road and Hamilton Road to increase capacity, reduce congestion and improve road safety for all road users. Prior to the upgrade, the intersection was operating at capacity with significant delays experienced at peak times.
This project is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
The works included:
- widening Hamilton Road and providing an additional lane in each direction (from two to four lanes), from Speilberg Street to Paramount Circuit. In order to accommodate cyclists, the kerbside lanes are 4.2 metres wide in the vicinity of the intersection
- extending the right-turn pocket at the Hamilton Road western approaches to cater for increased queue lengths
- upgrading the eastern approach on Hamilton Road from a through-lane and right-turn pocket to a through-lane, shared through and right-lane and right-turn pocket
- providing a dedicated right-turn pocket into Speilberg Street
- providing an approximately 100 metre long retaining wall and footpath on the south-west corner of the intersection on Hamilton Road to accommodate the road widening
- adding a third northbound lane on Beckett Road at the intersection
- extending the southbound left turn lane on Beckett Road
- installing a northbound cycle lane and extending the southbound cycle lane on Beckett Road
- improving pedestrian crossing facilities
- reconstructing the traffic islands to suit the revised layout.
Removal of some informal on-road parking was required to achieve the widening and overall intersection performance. Five car parks on the northern side of Hamilton Road, east of the intersection, and approximately six car parks on the western side of Beckett Road, south of the intersection were removed.
In order to upgrade the intersection, a number of trees were removed in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines. Vegetation impacts have been offset in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements and 30 new trees and 275 groundcover plants have been planted in the project area.
View an artist impression of the intersection upgrade in your preferred format:
Construction started in mid-February 2018 and was completed in July 2018.
The project will increase capacity, reduce congestion and improve safety for all road users.
If you would like further information about the Beckett Road and Hamilton Road intersection upgrade, you can: